Need new non-800 mhz antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac-1

Thanks to the TSA I need a new analog portable antenna for my Uniden BC75XLT, it was in my wife's checked bag today, which the TSA inspected, they opened all of her sealed ziplock bags, and dumped everything back into the suitcase when they were done, leaving their little courtesy note (there were dental flossers everywhere when she opened it at home tonight). Somehow in the process they lost the antenna for my scanner which she had accidentally left in a side pocket of her suitcase when she went on the trip last week.

The BC75XLT uses a BNC mount, I have a 436HP for 800mhz tracking, however it uses an SMA mount, so I can't simply share antennas.

Any suggestions on what I should get, the CB75XLT is used for a random variety of analog scanning as the 436HP is a bit deaf to much of this stuff.

WQPW689

Second the recommendation on the Diamond 77. If it's a little too long for you at around 15", try the Watson W-801, which I've always maintained is a great sleeper value in an antenna. Comes in at around eight and three quarters inches. Picks up everything the Diamond does, for me anyway. I've had fine results with both on my BC-125AT.

As usual, your mileage may vary.

lmrtek

If you want to listen to ham frequencies then a ham band antenna is fine

But if you are listening to public service bands, you need a public service band antenna

WQPW689

If you want to listen to ham frequencies then a ham band antenna is fine

But if you are listening to public service bands, you need a public service band antenna

No you don't. There's nothing about either antenna above that makes them incapable of receiving public service bands. Unless I've been imagining all those police, fire, EMS and civil air calls I've been listening to for years.

They're both cheap and reliable HT antennas. HF? No. But the OP seems to be looking more along the lines mentioned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.