• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Need new router

Status
Not open for further replies.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Okay, so I've squeezed all the bandwidth out of my 802.11b wirless router and I need more. I'm looking for suggestions from the vast experience from this motley crew.

Here's what I'm looking for (in no particular order):

802.11b/g or Super G
Price - under $100
Range - only needs to cover about 7700 sq ft (from the basement)
Dependability - must be operational over 90% of the time (no finicky hot rods please)
User Interface - Intuitive
Encryption - WEP is fine as I have some older machines

Thanks!

wbertram

I replaced an old Linksys with a D-Link 524. Works fine, good range, fast, never have to reboot as I did with the linksys all the time. Was $25, I think.

JnglMassiv

I've had awesome luck with the cheapest WIFI gear money can buy. I've bought and used 3 cheap routers (For 3 different loactions, not because they broke!) and the cheapest Netgear PCMCIA card.
My Belkin WIFI router. Does WEP & WPA. Easy to use interface, too.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber

MaxMan1986

While we're talking about routers, I have a question. Can another wireless router be used as a repeater to extend the range of an existing router? I know that there are special repeaters designed for this purpose but they seem to be costly.

JHaislet

Yep, there are a number of "network extenders" that do ok.
I personally keep my equipment seperate. I run a dedicated firewall, and inside the firewall I have an access point for my wireless clients. I never have felt secure nor liked the all-in-one solutions by Dlink/Linksys/Netgear. The firmware they put out never seems to work right and new revisions fix 10 old problems, yet open up 20 more.

I run Astaro Security Gateway (free for home use). It's an excellent firewall and works great on an old 500mhz or faster machine you might have collecting dust in the corner. Enterprise level security, complete control over all traffic entering/exiting your network, and best of all, its free for home use.

http://www.astaro.com

RISC777

No suggestion(s) on wireless equipment, wireless is too open.

"Go wired, young man."

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
JnglMassiv said:
I've had awesome luck with the cheapest WIFI gear money can buy. I've bought and used 3 cheap routers (For 3 different loactions, not because they broke!) and the cheapest Netgear PCMCIA card.
My Belkin WIFI router. Does WEP & WPA. Easy to use interface, too.
I've been the same way - never had a problem with my current Belkin 802.11b.

I checked that link you inlcuded and I think we have a winner!

Thanks!

JHaislet

Not to bring this too off topic, but I physically could not use standard 802.11b/g gear in my old neighborhood in Texas. The 2.4ghz spectrum was completely polluted. It was a newer neighborhood in which the builder didn't feel like pulling Cat5 into the rooms. Anyways, neighborhood was full of young families and EVERYONE had a wireless network, and almost everyone was on Ch1, 6, or 11. It was almost impossible to just ping my access point 20ft away. So I switched to 802.11a and have been sailing free & clear on 5.8xx for months now.

BTW, using Network Stumbler, I found there were 21 active access points/wireless networks within range of the adapter on my laptop. This explains a bunch. It will only get worse when MIMO 802.11n gear becomes mainstream, as puts out up to 3x the RFI across 2-3 different channels. I'm just praying that stuff never makes it onto the 5.8ghz band.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
RISC777 said:
No suggestion(s) on wireless equipment, wireless is too open.

"Go wired, young man."
you can secure wireless. DO NOT use WEP but rather WPA or WPA2. if you want more security, run a RADIUS server as well for more authentication.

JHaislet...you can try 802.11a which uses 5.8GHz.

JHaislet

JHaislet said:
So I switched to 802.11a and have been sailing free & clear on 5.8xx for months now.
:wink:
It works great! Actually, I've yet to find another 802.11a device anywhere around me.

MaxMan1986

JHaislet said:
Yep, there are a number of "network extenders" that do ok.
I understand that. I wanted to know if I could use a router as a range extender since the extenders are more expensive. My guess is no but I figured I'd ask. Thanks.

JHaislet

Usually a wireless router can NOT be used as an extender, as it's implied that a wireless router would be the "base station" for the rest of your network. Now a lot of access points can be used as extenders but that feature has to be supported by both the wireless router and the access point AND 99% of the time requires hardware from the same vendor. For example, Dlink claims the DWL-2100AP access point will work as an extender/repeater when used in conjunction with the DI-624 wireless router.

Status
Not open for further replies.