Need opinions on softwares for Pro-164 + Pro-197 programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeuser

The Wretched
I wish Freescan handled more rigs. I got it for my 996XT & it's fantastic. I've used, for years, BuTel ARC 780 for my (U)BC780XLT's. I know it well & it's always served me but I'm not sure I want to continue down that road.

I also have a couple Pro 164 & 197's to program up. I'd like to do it free but that doesn't seem possible. Cheaper is better but not at the expense of usefulness. So...

I considered ScanCat Lite Plus, 30$ does all the rigs & then some. Mixed reviews? Some really have a disliking for it, like I'm going to tell people not to get it in my forum sig dislike.

Then there is PSRedit, Starrsoft, & Scannersoft. I just want to program - not monitor...

Any suggestions / opinions please?

CaptWill

Premium Subscriber
I don't have the ScanCat program, but I just watched the youtube tutorial #7, on how 'easy' it is, with a couple mouse clicks, to import the database from RR. About halfway through, I had enough, but managed to watch it to about minute 8.5, where he had already done probably a hundred mouseclicks, to import a county in Ohio. Not for me, thank you. I will stick with Butel.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Well, before anyone can give you answers - and everyone has their own opinions about what program(s) is best - we should get a listing of programs that support each radio. We have such listings here...

For the object oriented scanners like the PRO-197

Object Oriented Scanner Software - The RadioReference Wiki

For the standard banked scanners like the PRO-164

PSR-300/400 Software and USB Support - The RadioReference Wiki

One thing about Scan Control - while I understand the owner isn't developing his software, it is still being supported somewhat.

Let the discussions begin....Mike

joeuser

The Wretched
Yeah I went through all that and more to determine the software packages available, which led me to my next issue - what do people prefer. I dont care to stick with BuTel just because its all I have used. However, its all I have used & I know it. Then again, he wants 30$ for ARC 300 & PSRedit is merely 20$. Scancat seemed like the best deal @ 30 for all manner of scanner but it appears to not be well liked.

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
I've had great luck with Starrsoft's WIN-500. I find the interface easy to understand, and I've had no complaints with anything about it. You can try a fully functional download free for 30 days from www.starrsoft.com. After that, you are expected to buy it for $35. That's reasonable. The author seems to have an 'in' with the developers. If you decide you want to go another route, you haven't lost anything.

I've moved away from Scancat. I've had a few problems, and just found it frustrating.

TES

. . . The author seems to have an 'in' with the developers. . . .

Don Starr (starrsoft.com), the author of Win500 has more than an 'in' with the developers—he wrote the firmware for the GRE PSR-500 family of scanners as well as the GRE PSR-800 and related scanners.

I spent my $35 on the full-featured U.S.A. product rather than $69.95 on the "Pro" version of the foreign-made software.

bbachman

I second this. I have been using Starrsoft products (Win97 and Win500) on my Pro-97, Pro-164, and PSR-600 for many years and have tried all of the others out there before purchasing both of these.

Don Starr's programs are solid, and I have not had ANY issues with them except one that was due to the operating system I was using and a setting that had to be altered. (This was NOT Don's issue, it was on my end.)

I would encourage you to try it and others out for 30 days for free and I am quite sure you will like it. Also, his prices are very reasonable.

I have no affiliation with Starrsoft except to say I am a VERY satisfied customer.
Rest assured, this is a completely unbiased opinion.
If he made a program for my PSR-800, I would buy it without hesitation, no shooping needed even if there were competition.

Barry

I've had great luck with Starrsoft's WIN-500. I find the interface easy to understand, and I've had no complaints with anything about it. You can try a fully functional download free for 30 days from www.starrsoft.com. After that, you are expected to buy it for $35. That's reasonable. The author seems to have an 'in' with the developers. If you decide you want to go another route, you haven't lost anything.

I've moved away from Scancat. I've had a few problems, and just found it frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.