Need portable antenna SDS100 scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
I have a Uniden SDS100 scanner and was thinking of upgrading my portable antenna. I have a Watson W-881 Super Gainer 16'', I was wondering if there was a all band handheld antenna that would do a better job then the Watson -881 antenna across the bands for the SDS100 scanner
Steve

Saint

Premium Subscriber

Saint

Premium Subscriber
It does for me, plus Scanner Master has a liberal return policy. Give Rich a call at 800-722-6637.
Ok I think I will put the antenna on the list to buy, I also have done business with Scanner Master several time before and they are great to buy off, I'll see if anyone else comes up with any thing I did some google searches and found this one

It's the one that's 16 down from the top of the page
Steve

Ubbe

That amazon antenna won't fit the SDS100, that will require some special base due to the water tight design its using.
It looks like a standard whip for 800Mhz with a loading coil and I don't know why they call it a wide band antenna. There's nothing wide band about it that I can see.

/Ubbe

Saint

Premium Subscriber
That amazon antenna won't fit the SDS100, that will require some special base due to the water tight design its using.
It looks like a standard whip for 800Mhz with a loading coil and I don't know why they call it a wide band antenna. There's nothing wide band about it that I can see.

/Ubbe
Thanks for the information I'll try some more searches and see what I can find

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I've never used the Watson unit mentioned by the OP so I'm not sure how it compares to the Comet SMA-W100RX but I will recommend it nonetheless. Very versatile across all bands, adjustable and collapsible. I particularly like how it folds alongside the scanner for easy storage.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
I've never used the Watson unit mentioned by the OP so I'm not sure how it compares to the Comet SMA-W100RX but I will recommend it nonetheless. Very versatile across all bands, adjustable and collapsible. I particularly like how it folds alongside the scanner for easy storage.
View attachment 89524
I'll think about this one, If I do buy it I will buy from Amazon.com Over hear at Amazon.ca they want $88.59 Canadian

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Yes I say this antenna looks very nice but I was wondering if it would really work across all the bands
No, it doesn't. It's bad on UHF, and really bad on VHF. Here's a comparison of the Diamond RH77CA (light) and Remtronix 800 (dark). Lower on the chart is better performance:

The Remtronix is great in the 800MHz band and in the 300MHz milair band, but not anywhere else. The Diamond is much better in the UHF and VFH bands.

Ubbe

Keep in mind that a telescope antenna are just a piece of metal that you can adjust to different lenghts. There's no loading coil or matching device that makes it work better without a ground plane. It can be adjusted to a lenght that receives a narrow frequency band well but not other bands. It's not a dual band or tripple band antenna. What you normally do are to adjust for the weakest system you monitor to focus on that and other stronger systems are usually received anyhow due to their signal strenghts. Or just monitor one band, like 800Mhz and adjust for that and then configure your scanner to only scan systems that use VHF and adjust the antenna for that band.

There's no portable wide band or all band antenna available. You have to try and get an antenna that seems to match the frequencies of the systems you think are important. That's why there are so many antennas to choose from as the "best" antenna depends on what signal strenghts the systems have that you are monitoring at your unique location.

If you have access to several scanners you can program them with the same systems, as much as it is possible. When one system are received perfectly with one scanner you can delete or avoid that system in the other scanner. After a while you end up having the systems programmed that best suit a scanner and its antenna.

/Ubbe

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have had good all-around results with the SMA version of the Austin Condor. I trimmed the rubber around the base just enough to make it fit the SDS100. No adapter needed and the Condor still works with my 436 and other SMA radios.

As for the Remtronix I have had good luck with that on UHF (460's), pretty much the same as the included antenna but of course it excels on 700/800.

Attachments

• IMG_4394.jpeg
    IMG_4394.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4393.jpeg
    IMG_4393.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 71

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
My SDS-100 scans flawlessly on my Ohio MARCS Digital P25 simulcast system with the after-market Remtronix antenna. When I want to explore I have a lead on the desk that connects the yagi on the roof. But, for everyday scanning, the SDS100 with the Remtronix is a great combo. No need for any other accessories.

megascanner

Premium Subscriber
Also just bought SDS-100 - I have the Diamond SRH77CA antenna (bottom beveled to fit) on the radio. Anyone know if the REM-820S much better or should I stick with Diamond? Water isn't an issue since I don't listen outside in rainy conditions.

Reconrider

Also just bought SDS-100 - I have the Diamond SRH77CA antenna (bottom beveled to fit) on the radio. Anyone know if the REM-820S much better or should I stick with Diamond? Water isn't an issue since I don't listen outside in rainy conditions.
Diamond SRH77CA is 144/440 band where rem 820s is for 700-900 band.
The rem 820s fits like the stock sds100 antenna.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Just let me add this - over the years I have tried them all. I have a drawer full of them here. The all time winner in my book is the Remtronix, followed closely by Austin Condor. My preference is the Austin Condor for vhf/uhf monitoring, and the Remtronix for 700/800mhz digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.