Need portable antenna SDS100 scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Computrguy

No, it doesn't. It's bad on UHF, and really bad on VHF. Here's a comparison of the Diamond RH77CA (light) and Remtronix 800 (dark). Lower on the chart is better performance:

View attachment 89531

The Remtronix is great in the 800MHz band and in the 300MHz milair band, but not anywhere else. The Diamond is much better in the UHF and VFH bands.
That is awesome information and easily understandable for me. Wondering if the same overlay can be done the the stock SDS100 antenna?

GregOH

Just let me add this - over the years I have tried them all. I have a drawer full of them here. The all time winner in my book is the Remtronix, followed closely by Austin Condor. My preference is the Austin Condor for vhf/uhf monitoring, and the Remtronix for 700/800mhz digital.
@TailGator911 so the REM-800B Remtronix would be good to use with Ohio MARCS and conventional frequencies?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Only for 7/800MHz. It's excellent for that, but crap for VHF.

KB2GOM

No, it doesn't. It's bad on UHF, and really bad on VHF. Here's a comparison of the Diamond RH77CA (light) and Remtronix 800 (dark). Lower on the chart is better performance:

View attachment 89531

The Remtronix is great in the 800MHz band and in the 300MHz milair band, but not anywhere else. The Diamond is much better in the UHF and VFH bands.

Thanks for posting this. So (displaying my ignorance) let me get this straight: the lower the dip on the graph, the better the reception? If that is true, then the Diamond ought to be outstanding for monitoring the NYS Thruway frequencies (roughly 453-460). Correct? BTW, what is the source of the info on the graph?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Nice to see this thread come alive again. I feel compelled to throw my two cents in here. I've been using the RS 800 now called remtronix since GRE first developed it many years ago and rebranded it under the Radio Shack name. When GRE then Radio Shack went out of business a GRE employee started the remtronix business.

I understand this graph showing results from the antenna and let me qualify something right away, this antenna really is terrible on VHF High and of course VHF low. It really stinks.

I have to disagree with Jon on the performance on 450 megahertz to 512 megahertz, no need to show the graph again I've seen it but I've also used the antenna for many many years on UHF 2 and T band and quite frankly it's my go-to antenna for that range performing far better than any stock antenna in that range. My scientific data is listening to a frequency or system and attaching various antennas to the radio and seeing which one works better LOL. I appreciate the graph but I definitely go by my many many years of experience using it in the field to receive signals.

No Doubt the remtronix is the best on radio antenna for 700- 800 megahertz but I personally recommend people to try it on 450 to 512 also and see how it works for you. I understand by the graph it's not supposed to but it has always been my go-to antenna for that range. I stopped recommending it for that because I would be immediately checked and shown the graph but give it a shot anyway, you might be surprised, LOL.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Thanks for posting this. So (displaying my ignorance) let me get this straight: the lower the dip on the graph, the better the reception? If that is true, then the Diamond ought to be outstanding for monitoring the NYS Thruway frequencies (roughly 453-460). Correct? BTW, what is the source of the info on the graph?
Correct. The source is measurements with a VNA looking at return loss (how much power is bounced back to the transmitter instead of being radiated).

I have to disagree with Jon on the performance on 450 megahertz to 512 megahertz, no need to show the graph again I've seen it but I've also used the antenna for many many years on UHF 2 and T band and quite frankly it's my go-to antenna for that range performing far better than any stock antenna in that range. My scientific data is listening to a frequency or system and attaching various antennas to the radio and seeing which one works better LOL. I appreciate the graph but I definitely go by my many many years of experience using it in the field to receive signals.

No Doubt the remtronix is the best on radio antenna for 700- 800 megahertz but I personally recommend people to try it on 450 to 512 also and see how it works for you. I understand by the graph it's not supposed to but it has always been my go-to antenna for that range. I stopped recommending it for that because I would be immediately checked and shown the graph but give it a shot anyway, you might be surprised, LOL.
No. I'm not going to be surprised, because I've tried doing so. And the Diamond is the clear winner in the UHF band over the Remtronix. The Remtronix may be better than the stock antenna for UHF, but that's a really low bar, and you really need to stop recommending it as a "go-to" antenna for that band. It just isn't. It's not designed for UHF, and it doesn't perform well there. The Diamond generally works better in the 800MHz band than the Remtronix does in the UHF band.

Last edited:

emtbucky1

I daily drive this one on the SDS100 and I think it works okay. Folds down to be smaller for UHF and extend it for VHF seems to to the trick. :)

Also, found this one.

Says its better for the upper frequencies than the lower and $25.

Attachments

• 51zsvkfqeeL._AC_SL1032_.jpg
    51zsvkfqeeL._AC_SL1032_.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 4
  • 61zWh8C3UHL._AC_SL1032_.jpg
    61zWh8C3UHL._AC_SL1032_.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
When I say my go to antenna it's not just reception that I'm thinking about, it's also portability in a portable application. Of course there are better antennas for UHF. I just don't like the diamond in a portable setting. Better antenna though for UHF.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If there's any VHF in your monitoring mix, then the Diamond is pretty much mandatory, convenient or not. It's my go-to antenna for handheld scanning, because it's near the top in VHF and UHF, and decent, if not stellar, for 7/800. Not as good as the Remtronix obviously, but still better than the stock. It's about as close to a single-antenna solution as you'll find, especially if traveling handheld.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
As the years go by I am listening to less and less VHF High and don't program any of it now on a portable but of course at home, things like Marine Channel 16, 22... Maybe Forest firefighters still on VHF. Also as the years go by I'm listening to less UHF as all of the type II smartzone systems disappear so it's only a few UHF objects I listen to. I use rooftops at home but no doubt the diamond is a superior antenna, I just don't like it in a portable application. My favorite portable antenna is the remtronix.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Around here, VHF is in common use, both for trunked systems (VA-STARS) and conventional stuff.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Around here, VHF is in common use, both for trunked systems (VA-STARS) and conventional stuff.
Well that's a horse of a different color LOL, if I was in that situation I would use the diamond. Even though I live on the water I can live without the Coast Guard on the portable, being simplex and all.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I'm a person that likes to go against the norm and I thought about buying one of these because it does have good reviews and if it don't work out for me, I'll give it to my father in law for his WS1040...

https://www.amazon.com/HYS-Telescopic-Antenna-BNC-14inch/dp/B07RD4K77T/ref=sr_1_51?crid=1YZVWMGIC7DH&dchild=1&keywords=remtronix+scanner+antenna&qid=1609456337&s=electronics&sprefix=remtronix,electronics,196&sr=1-51
That's a sweet-looking VHF/ UHF dual band antenna and as long as you don't have to listen to any 7 - 800 megahertz systems should work good for you.

GregOH

That's a sweet-looking VHF/ UHF dual band antenna and as long as you don't have to listen to any 7 - 800 megahertz systems should work good for you.
I know it's not tuned for 700/800 mhz but being in a simulcast area and not far from two sites, I'm wondering if it will still work well with those bands.

I mean I see often suggested that in some cases a paper clip and less antenna works better in a simulcast area, so how much difference would this make as opposed to a paper clip? I'll spend 10 bucks and shipping to find out.

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I know it's not tuned for 700/800 mhz but being in a simulcast area and not far from two sites, I'm wondering if it will still work well with those bands.

I mean I see often suggested that in some cases a paper clip and less antenna works better in a simulcast area, so how much difference would this make as opposed to a paper clip?
Oh yes the paperclip LOL... You also had the paint can, you drill a hole in the paint can and stick the rubber duck in the hole. What you're referring to is P2 capable scanners like the x36s. Those radios had big problems with simulcast distortion secondary to LSM. You were in between many towers simultaneously transmitting what your scanner was calling for so the least efficient antenna worked the best in an attempt to isolate just one Tower.

This is not an issue with the SDS radios as they have an SDR chip and are simulcast capable. The biggest challenge to P2 capable radios other than the SDS series is tdma Phase 2 Transmissions.

So the big question is what radio do you use and what are you listening to?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Greg, I see that you amended your post after my post so that would be your reply, I also see that you do have an SDS 100 so the paperclip theory does not apply to your situation as the SDS100 is simulcast capable. ... I agree for 10 bucks if that does work on your simulcast system it's a great deal. The only way to know is to try it, as you are.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.