Need portable antenna SDS100 scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I understand the budget thing, I'm retired on 2 modest pensions and Social Security retirement and I put a name on every dollar. This Hobby is expensive and I've been doing it since I was a kid. I've got two large Ziploc bags of portable antennas of all different types from all types of brands of radios.

This shouldn't be a difficult decision for you. The stock antenna with the 100 stinks, those who swear by it, it's only because they've never tried anything else.

I understand your simulcast system comes in well for you and you don't feel the need to improve it but by the nature of the system you will run into tough spots for reception depending on the RF environment. You may not know it because you're missing the transmission entirely but the remtronix will pull it out.

If you want to do wideband surfing on the database you would need a secondary antenna, a wideband antenna like you are considering, however, Diamond offers much better options.

You certainly can get a cheap BNC remtronix and use the adapter, safer using Jon's optional adapter.

The ASPCA frowns upon beating a dead horse LOL. Just got to do what you got to do.:)

GregOH

I understand the budget thing, I'm retired on 2 modest pensions and Social Security retirement and I put a name on every dollar. This Hobby is expensive and I've been doing it since I was a kid. I've got two large Ziploc bags of portable antennas of all different types from all types of brands of radios.

This shouldn't be a difficult decision for you. The stock antenna with the 100 stinks, those who swear by it, it's only because they've never tried anything else.

I understand your simulcast system comes in well for you and you don't feel the need to improve it but by the nature of the system you will run into tough spots for reception depending on the RF environment. You may not know it because you're missing the transmission entirely but the remtronix will pull it out.

If you want to do wideband surfing on the database you would need a secondary antenna, a wideband antenna like you are considering, however, Diamond offers much better options.

You certainly can get a cheap BNC remtronix and use the adapter, safer using Jon's optional adapter.

The ASPCA frowns upon beating a dead horse LOL. Just got to do what you got to do.:)
I'm getting so much now with this cell, I've had to turn many departments off. Earlier I was listening to comms from the OSP Shipley building that is programmed and Logan county sheriff on I'd search and those departments are half of the state away from me in distance.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I'm getting so much now with this cell, I've had to turn many departments off. Earlier I was listening to comms from the OSP Shipley building that is programmed and Logan county sheriff on I'd search and those departments are half of the state away from me in distance.
Yep I say it everyday. The more you scan the less you hear. I personally customize everything to just local on my simulcast system.

As far as reception it doesn't matter how far away the Departments are it only depends on how far away you are from the site tower and it sounds like you are close to this site. As you move around in your car to different areas of site coverage your results will vary and you will eventually have to switch to another site.

Glad it's working good for you now.

GregOH

As you move around in your car to different areas of site coverage your results will vary and you will eventually have to switch to another site.

Glad it's working good for you now.
I already determined which sites I'll want to switch to when on the go, and I have this mag mount antenna on my SUV which I've used with handhelds in the house. It works well with 700/800 mhz and nothing else, but I'm scanning conventional frequencies on a different analog scanner anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.