Need programing help for whistler 1040

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAVYVET30

Premium Subscriber
I have spent hours trying to find somewhere to download info to program my new radio to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
The easiest way, IMHO, is to purchase software to program your scanner. Here's one of the better choices;

Software for RadioShack PRO-series (PRO-92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 99, 163, 164, 106, 197, 651, 652), Whistler (WS1040, WS1065), and GRE PSR-series (PSR-500, 600, 300, 400, 310, 410) scanners

You will need a programming cable to go with it also. I would check Scannermaster's website to find the correct cable to connect your computer to the scanner;

scannermaster.com

With a premium membership here at radio reference you can download directly from the database to the software, then upload to the scanner. This is much easier than programming by hand, especially with trunk systems which you will absolutely need to hear just about all Public Safety here on the Cape. I may even have a pre-built software file I can send you.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Check out Scan New England's website as well for some expert "Local" knowledge. The link is in my signature.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
We have an article in our wiki (links are always blue) that's designed to get folks off the ground...

Getting Started with your GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Your WS1040 is really a GRE PSR-500 in another box, so anything written for a 500 will apply to your 1040. There is also a link at the bottom for the Easier to Read manual which some folks find easier to use.

There are 3 programming packages for this radio (nothing free, I'm afraid)...ARC500, PSREdit500 and Win500. The links for these can be found in the Object Oriented Scanner Software article, which is linked in section 3 (Onto the Real Question). All 3 have a 30 day trial period...

Mike

NAVYVET30

Premium Subscriber
I have tried downloading starrsoft but my Norton Antivirus wont let me access that. I have tried manually programing and flubbed that up and now I cannot clear what I did. I am on Cape Cod, is there someone I could take this Whistler WS 1040 to and have programed for a fee? I am 70 yrs old disabled Vietnam Veteran and it is all over my head.

Norm

Last edited:

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
I helped him get his scanner properly programmed and he is up and running!

NAVYVET30

Premium Subscriber
WORKS GREAT

Many thanks to Junior08 for all the help and explanations he was great. If it wasn't for him I would have gotten so frustrated I would have returned the scanner, deeming myself too old for these new electronics.
Had an awesome day listening and making notes.

THANK YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.