Need programmer for bcd396xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

abwjr1

Premium Subscriber
Just do not have time to master the beast -

All I want to do is be able to scan the race track control radios at the Long Beah Grand Prix this coming week; and maybe the Indy car frequencies.

Flying Thursday morning.

Anyone available? Or point me to a resource.......

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Just do not have time to master the beast -

All I want to do is be able to scan the race track control radios at the Long Beah Grand Prix this coming week; and maybe the Indy car frequencies.

Flying Thursday morning.

Anyone available? Or point me to a resource.......

Does not a company called Racing Radios have a booth at most auto races? I think they do but it could just be a Nascar thing.
If they do, I'm pretty sure they offer on the spot programming services of about all popular computer programmable scanners while you wait if you take your radio to the booth.
It has been a while since I've been to an auto race but I know the last track I went too, they were there and they were programming radios for people. They also rented and sold radios and headsets ready to go with the days frequencies enetered in.
I'd imagine they have a website so try checking them out as a possible resource if they are still around.

abwjr1

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to you both! Called ScannerMaster this morning: "I'm sorry; the programmer is not here today. He is a fireman and comes in when he is not working or on call. May I have your phone number? I'll have him call you. When? Oh...in the next day or two. Maybe this afternoon. I'm flying to Long Beach Thursday morning and would like to get my scanner programmed before I get on the airplane. I'll have the programmer call you."

Programming on-site sounds like a great option. But I have cut my schedule a bit short. I get to Long Beach Thursday afternoon. I'll pick up my race credentials, do a track walk - and the day will be over. I'll go to work at 6 the next morning and work 15 hour days for three days.

Last edited:

nanZor

This is long, but don't freak out!

Good challenge lacking time and familiarity - but the 396xt is up for it. It may not be optimal, but you'll have fun anyway if you run out of contacts for programming.

Maybe give this some practice before you go, since you can always reset the scanner once you get to the track.

The goal here is to use the predefined racing service search. Once a number of interesting frequencies are stored, we'll scan the built-in Quick-Save system.

1) Reset the scanner so that it has NOTHING in it:
Press and hold 2,9,HOLD, and while holding all three down, hold down the power button. "All Memory Clear" will show up in the display, and then you'll be prompted with "Restore Pre-Program List". Enter NO (the decimal point).

2) You will now have a blank slate - "Scan Mode - Nothing to Scan" will appear.

3) Hit FUNC (top leftside button), then SCAN. This is activating the Search function in reality. "Quick Search?" prompt will show. Enter NO (decimal point).

4) Service Search will now be highlighted. Enter YES (E).

5) Use the knob to scroll to RACING and press YES (E).

6) You are now searching through Uniden's predefined racing frequencies.

7) If you come across noise or other junk that locks up the scanner, press L/O for lockout. If something interesting comes up, press HOLD. Press HOLD again to release it, and make it search again.

If for some reason, you don't see it searching either up or down, you can force it to do so by rotating the knob a click.

8) You can continue just like this for your visit if you desire. This is mere searching as opposed to scanning.

9) If you want to actually scan, and not search the entire racing spectrum, whenever you land on something interesting, just press YES (E). When you do, the prompt "Quick Freq Save?" will show. Press YES (E).

10). The frequency of interest is now saved into the Quick-Save system. Use the MENU key (lower left side button) multiple times to back out until you see that you are back into the RACING search. Continue searching, and each time you come across something interesting, perform step 9.

11) Once you have stored enough interesting frequencies, you can now scan them instead of searching the whole racing spectrum. Simple - just press SCAN. All the frequencies you previously saved during your search, are now being scanned in the only system that exists - the Quick-Save Conventional System. Use HOLD or L/O on these channels as desired. If you accidentally lock-out something interesting, don't worry - the lockouts are temporary - just power the scanner off and on again (normally that is, not the total reset procedure listed above) and the locked out channels will return.

It really looks / reads harder than it is in practice - but at least you can let your 396xt do some work and earn it's keep given the restrictions you are under! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

abwjr1

Premium Subscriber
hertzian:

Many thanks! A slight modification to your excellent instructions: while holding down 2 - 9 - and HOLD -- turn the scanner ON. You get "All Memory Clear." Then proceeding to follow your instructions, the jewell scans the race frequencies. I'll post my experience after the Long beach Grand Prix

nanZor

Don't forget to take headphones / earbuds!

Also keep an eye on your squelch level setting. Get comfortable with the use of the shared volume (knob press and adjust) and squelch (FUNC, knob press and adjust). A common mistake for me when starting out was to try and adjust the volume, when I was actually changing the squelch level, and forgetting to turn the squelch back to a normal setting. :)

Glad this could help. You could even practice on some junk noise frequencies, businesses that share the race frequencies, etc that come up in your local area and then wipe it all out again when you get there.

That was a fun challenge - kind of like racing itself! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.