Need "real time" help if anyone is up for troubleshooting programming scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolBlue87GT

Premium Subscriber

Long story short, I'm a RadioShack manager in SW FL, I'm trying to program seven customer scanners tonight, I'm having trouble.

I now need "real time" help if anyone is up for troubleshooting.

I'm using WIN500, I have a current RR subscription

I loaded Charlotte Co Fl freq, downloaded usb driver.

The Win500 software lets me download the data from the scanner to the computer, but would not allow me to upload to the scanner.

When I tried to upload to scanners, gave error message, "No response from scanner"

I have the following scanners to program :

Two Pro-164's , two Pro-95's , one Pro-96, one Pro-97 , one Pro-528

I must be missing a step, anyone have this problem ?

Should I download a better/different program ?
I started this in a http://forums.radioreference.com/fl...anding-makes-strange-problem-need-advice.html Found I needed tech help. This is the long version.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Dave

TES

. . . I'm using WIN500, . . .
I have the following scanners to program :

Two Pro-164's , two Pro-95's , one Pro-96, one Pro-97 , one Pro-528

I must be missing a step, anyone have this problem ?

Should I download a better/different program ?. . .

Hmmmm . . . From the StarrSoft site:

Win500
Data management, monitoring, and control software for the GRE PSR-500 and PSR-600, as well as the RS PRO-106 and PRO-197, Digital Trunking Scanners, plus the PSR-310 and PSR-410 Analog Trunking Scanners

Looks like your software is not compatible with the scanners: StarrSoft software choices.

Last edited:

CoolBlue87GT

Premium Subscriber
Just downloaded Win96, loaded freq, programmed Pro-96

Appeared to download, removed cable when down, scanner reads "All Channels locked out"

Last edited:

CoolBlue87GT

Premium Subscriber
Okay, got the Pro-96 scanner programed with win96.

Tried the other radios, looks like this software will not interface with pro-164 , pro-95, pro-97 or the pro-528

Any help on another software I can use ?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
A REAL radio shack manager would program those scanners "oldschool"!
Anyone can do it with software, but programming by hand will teach you the true fundamentals of how your products work as well as their features. :wink:

n9zas

rwier

Hi Dave,

I think TES nailed it, but that being said, I also have seven scanners, some of which I did some programming on today. I have been fooling with some of them for years, lol. If I was forced to see how much "programming" I could get done in a single evening, the result could only be a corruption of previous long hours of work .

It sounds like you have taken on an honorable task, offering to go the extra distance as to Customer Service. But I believe, even if you had all the necessary software close at hand, that you have volunteered to do the extremely difficult, or what, for the average person, is impossible. I'm sure there may be a handful of "True Dragon Slayers" on the RR Forums that could perform the task, as stated, and they may make their opposing views known.

Good Luck,
Rob

CoolBlue87GT

Premium Subscriber
OK, Thanks Highpockets

I now have the following done, (2) Pro164 , (1) Pro96, (1) Pro97

Now going for the two pro95's

The Pro528 , not sure what to use for it.

Again, thanks for the help & the words of encouragement from the others.

By the way, have been into scanners since the early 70's - can you say crystals !!!! Yea, I said it !!

I used to be a Firefighter in Maryland. My dad was a police officer.

Last edited:

CoolBlue87GT

Premium Subscriber
Okay, next problem,

I downloaded the win95, it does not have a link the RR to download a data file.

For now, I manually changed the data channels which were rebanded recently.

Seems to pick up most of the channels my HomePatrol is getting.

So I have 6 out of seven programmed.

Last edited:

CoolBlue87GT

Premium Subscriber
The Pro-528 is being a problem child. It's hanging the new data channels.

I'm looking on-line at the manual, need to find out how to tell scanner the frequency is a Motorola system. All the other channels have an "M"

Very confusing how to manually do that. Any idea's

Last edited:

CoolBlue87GT

Premium Subscriber
Hmmmm . . . From the StarrSoft site:

Win500
Data management, monitoring, and control software for the GRE PSR-500 and PSR-600, as well as the RS PRO-106 and PRO-197, Digital Trunking Scanners, plus the PSR-310 and PSR-410 Analog Trunking Scanners

Looks like your software is not compatible with the scanners: StarrSoft software choices.

TES, I didn't see the link you posted until later, Thank you, it was very helpful.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Okay, got the Pro-96 scanner programed with win96.

Tried the other radios, looks like this software will not interface with pro-164 , pro-95, pro-97 or the pro-528

Any help on another software I can use ?

All you need to do is look here

Popular Software for Radio Shack Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

The tables and notes here will cross reference scanners and software. The PRO-95 has no software that is compatible with the web service, but the others do....best regards..Mike

CoolBlue87GT

Premium Subscriber
Of the scanners I programmed, which would clone to the Pro-2096 ?

I can't seem to get it programmed using any of the software I downloaded.

TES

Of the scanners I programmed, which would clone to the Pro-2096 ?

I can't seem to get it programmed using any of the software I downloaded.

From the link I posted yesterday you should see that the Pro-96 and Pro-2096 are programmed with the same software. These two scanners can also be *cloned* from each other.

CoolBlue87GT

Premium Subscriber
From the link I posted yesterday you should see that the Pro-96 and Pro-2096 are programmed with the same software. These two scanners can also be *cloned* from each other.

Thank you. Early this morning I tried win96 to program the 2096 , it gave me an error.

I just cloned it with the 96. Tried win96 again, it did work the 2nd time. I must not have been fully awake the 1st time.

I now have nine radio's, was successful on eight of them.

Thanks again

lindsay34654

Programming

I guess now Radio Shack (RT) can now change their slogan. This does not look good for a Radio Shack manager to have to spend so much time on here looking for answers that he already should know. Have you ever been in a radio shack that if you do not want an answer about a cell phone or dish Tv they are not interested in talking with you. Good luck with your search. I am sure you are doing this for free like it was said program it by hand you probily been done by now.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
CoolBlue, ARC433 works with the PRO-528 - which I think is the only other scanner that's outstanding on your list.

For future reference, we have a cross reference of scanner vs.software in our wiki - see my earlier message on the subject

best regards..Mike

CoolBlue87GT

Premium Subscriber
Alright, I now have ten radios programed. Thanks for the help for those that responded with kind words and encouragement in this posting.

The wealth of information held here is incredible. I've used the search utility to help with the questions I didn't need to post.

I normally hang out in few other forums, Fiero - Pontiac's Mid-Engine Sportscar and Travel Trailers, Trailer Camping and Trailer how Tos , both sites have a bunch of great guys that lend a hand to fellow members in need of help just like here.

Thanks again.

rwier

Alright, I now have ten radios programed. Thanks for the help for those that responded with kind words and encouragement in this posting.

The wealth of information held here is incredible. I've used the search utility to help with the questions I didn't need to post.

I normally hang out in few other forums, Fiero - Pontiac's Mid-Engine Sportscar and Travel Trailers, Trailer Camping and Trailer how Tos , both sites have a bunch of great guys that lend a hand to fellow members in need of help just like here.

Thanks again.

I feel really bad now that my post was so negative. Good Job!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.