Need recommendation on new scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
With spending the same amount of money, would the mobile/base unit be better/have more features than a handheld?
Sorry, no.

A Handheld SDS scanner is MUCH more powerful than any other Base model. (Except the base SDS model)

You need to evaluate each scanner independently.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Besides the speaker size and the controls layout, are the inner workings, reception capability, etc the same for both units?
Generally speaking, the handheld version of the desktop model, i.e. Uniden 536HP/436HP or Uniden SDS200/100 or Whistler WS1065/1040, will have similar performance characteristics when connected to the same antenna.

Marchboom

I am getting back into monitoring and want to get a new scanner. Not sure if I want a handheld or a mobile base unit. I have a BC100 handheld now but 95% of the time I will be in the house listening.

How many of you bought the handheld units, use them inside most of the time are are glad that you got this one over a mobile/base unit? Who would rather switch out their handheld for a mobile/base unit?

Of those who have have, or have had both units, what type did you like the best?

Your opinions are appreciated.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I have both a base and three handhelds I use on a regular basis, but far and above I use the handhelds far more (one is used for my feed on Broadcastify). The base is actually used as a backup to the handhelds when I'm in the house. While a base unit is nice, they don't allow you portability if you need to grab and go with a scanner. Just my opinion.

marksmith

They make both kinds because they serve two different purposes.

Hand helds are meant to stay on your person, run on batteries, are light and not be tethered to a power source or location.

Base units are optimized differently. Weight or power isn't an issue and neither is portability.

You buy them based on your need or desire according to their purpose.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
Every Handheld I have ever owned has gone between the House (A/C Power Ext. Antenna) and the Car (D/C Wired Power Ext. Antenna). I Never put it my hand and walked around with it, never used the batteries. I can say that my past and present handhelds received as well as a base model when in the house. UNTIL the SDS100 came along. That unit received better than my base models BCT15X and BCD996P2 on 800-900mhz trunked systems. I do not have simulcast issues. I just sold my SDS100 and got the SDS200. I still love my BC246T mounted on my dash for VHF/UHF Analog. I hope this helps.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I have six handheld scanners I use daily, three are on 24/7. I have very much considered a base unit, but being able to pop some batteries in and take it portable has always won out. Everyone's needs are different, so good job on soliciting others as well as considering how you will use it. You will probably be happy with your decision.

As to being tethered to a power source, all of my handhelds have that option and the three units on 24/7 do not run off batteries. Two others are usually powered via USB and only one is always batteries. At times, four of them use batteries when I'm away from the house.

I have a dinosaur Uniden BC2500XLT which was my first handheld and still works fine to this day. I also have Radio Shack, GRE and Whistler handhelds. I had a Regency mobile/base unit and it worked fine, but it was a pain to mount in the vehicle back in the day.

As to mounting:
At home I use metal bookends. A slight bend provides the optimum angle.
In the vehicle I use a RAM mounts or the like. It is a mostly rigid yet flexible arm that mounts to the front seat bolt that one can attached whatever device to.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am getting back into monitoring and want to get a new scanner. Not sure if I want a handheld or a mobile base unit. I have a BC100 handheld now but 95% of the time I will be in the house listening.

How many of you bought the handheld units, use them inside most of the time are are glad that you got this one over a mobile/base unit? Who would rather switch out their handheld for a mobile/base unit?

Of those who have have, or have had both units, what type did you like the best?

Your opinions are appreciated.
I generally prefer handheld scanners. Besides being portable, whether carried around, or simply picked up & moved to either a different spot in the house, or to my vehicle, they are battery powered. If used at home, or in a vehicle, where external power is available, then the batteries are not used. However, in the event of an extended power outage, the handheld will keep going as long as you have charged (rechargeable) batteries, or, for many handhelds, alkaline AA batteries. For the newer model scanners, which are powered via the USB port, one of the power packs used to recharge a cellphone or tablet can power a portable scanner for an extended time.

I also have the 536HP & SDS200. Again, in general, base/mobile versions have a larger display than their portable siblings. Also, the base/mobile scanners usually have better sounding audio, since they have a larger speaker, which is inside a case. (Of course, that's a moot point if you are using an external speaker on your handheld). Most base/mobile scanners have a metal outer housing. That can help reduce interference from other devices around them (such as some printers, your PC, or broadband modem, to name a few).

Marchboom

As to mounting:
At home I use metal bookends. A slight bend provides the optimum angle.
In the vehicle I use a RAM mounts or the like. It is a mostly rigid yet flexible arm that mounts to the front seat bolt that one can attached whatever device to.
I like the bookends idea. I too have a RAM mount in my truck for my GPS. They work great.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
You've got multiple threads on essentially the same subject. You should ask a Mod to merge them as they generally frown on duplicate posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.