Need recommendation on new scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marchboom

After many years of being out of the scanning hobby I'm getting back into it. I think I've narrower my choices down to the Uniden BCT 15X or the Whistler WS 1065. Like i said, I've been out of the loop for quite a while so should I get the Whistler for it's digital trunking ability or will the Uniden (analog trunking) be enough? I mainly listen to aircraft, some Ham radio and emergency services. I'm up in No. Idaho.

Also, for a 60' run what antenna cable should I use? I have some RG-6U cable. Could that be used?

Thank you.

Last edited:

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Also, for a 60' run what antenna cable should I use? I have some RG-6U cable. Could that be used?
RG6 is fine for your application. Regarding the scanner choice, the BCT15X is an analog-only scanner without the capability to decode P25 digital. The Whistler WS1065 is, however, a digital-capable scanner but for Phase 1 systems only. If you can tell us your county and what emergency services you wish to hear, we can provide more help. That said, aircraft transmissions are analog, and Hams primarily transmit in analog although some digital modes are used as well.

Marchboom

I live at the border of Kootenai and Bonner counties...20 miles north of Coeur d'Alene. The emergency services I would be listening to would be the Kootenai country and Bonner county sheriff depts. And who knows, I'll start scanning and see what I can pick up.

I just don't want to get a scanner and then find out that it is limited in some respects. Would like to keep the cost below $300 if possible.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Kootenai County and Coeur d'Alene both use the Idaho Cooperative Agencies Wireless Interoperable Network (ICAWIN) system, which is listed as P25 Phase 1. You'd need the Whistler WS1065 at a minimum. However, several agencies including Kootenai Sheriffs and Coeur d'Alene PD are encrypted, and unable to be monitored by any scanner. The "Mode" column in the link above will show DE if that talkgroup is encrypted full-time, or De if encrypted part-time.

Marchboom

This is what I'm wondering about. Are there that many agencies out there that are encrypted and that buying a more expensive scanner would be a waste of money? Looks like Kootenai Sheriff dept is fully encrypted and justifiably so.

Last edited:

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Only you can make that judgement call based on what you will be able to monitor. Depending on your area, there can be lots of things to hear that aren't encrypted or even digital.

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
It sounds like the local law enforcement have bought into some perceived need for encryption; even on their dispatch channels. There is no need for fire & EMS to encrypt, but someone else is streaming that activity so you can listen to those that way. The rest of your interests are analog, so the less expensive scanners may be the right option for you unless/until opinions on encryption at the local level change.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
This is what I'm wondering about. Are there that many agencies out there that are encrypted and that buying a more expensive scanner would be a waste of money? Looks like Kootenai Sheriff dept is fully encrypted and justifiably so.
If you take a look at the tables in the database, looking at the "Mode" column. Any talkgroup indicated as mode "DE" (uppercase "E") denotes full time encryption. Those indicated as "De" (lowercase "e") denotes partial encryption, meaning encryption is enabled upon request on these talkgroups.

N8IAA

Where you live, PD is encrypted, county and city, but is simulcast on the conventional frequencies, and Bonner is still analog conventional The 15X will handle those quite well.

So make your decision on that.

Marchboom

I haven't followed the progress of scanners and the monitoring hobby for many years. Is switching (for the vast majority of transmitters) over to digital something that WILL happen in the near future? If so, I don't mind getting a digital radio. Encryption I have no control over.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
In my opinion; I'd get a digital radio.
I second that recommendation. In fact, for another $70 above the Whistler you can go for a Uniden BCD996P2 digital scanner at Scanner Master, a Phase 2 capable scanner. The 996P2 can also be upgraded to receive DMR, NXDN, and ProVoice digital modes should you have any in your area.

N8IAA

I second that recommendation. In fact, for another $70 above the Whistler you can go for a Uniden BCD996P2 digital scanner at Scanner Master, a Phase 2 capable scanner. The 996P2 can also be upgraded to receive DMR, NXDN, and ProVoice digital modes should you have any in your area.

And, the upgrades are another $70 a piece. Adding $140 to the price of the 996P2. The OP has limited DMR and NXDN in his area, plus, no ProVoice in his area.

Why push something that Marchboom doesn't need??

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Why push something that Marchboom doesn't need??
My only intent is to point out the capability of the 996P2 vs the Whistler 1065. It's the OP's choice whether he upgrades or not. He may have plenty of DMR and NXDN in his area, but not care to listen to any of it. Alternatively, he may decide that it's worth the money.

Marchboom

I have an old BC100 handheld but it's time to get another scanner and I was thinking about getting a mobile base unit. But every now & then I reconsider a handheld. The question: Besides the speaker size and the controls layout, are the inner workings, reception capability, etc the same for both units? I plan to run a remote speaker with either unit.

Bob1955

After many years of being out of the scanning hobby I'm getting back into it. I think I've narrower my choices down to the Uniden BCT 15X or the Whistler WS 1065. Like i said, I've been out of the loop for quite a while so should I get the Whistler for it's digital trunking ability or will the Uniden (analog trunking) be enough? I mainly listen to aircraft, some Ham radio and emergency services. I'm up in No. Idaho.

Thank you.
To keep the cost down, go with the "proven winner" which is the Bearcat BCD-996P2 which is Phase 1/2 digital and looks just like the BCT-15X. It was as low as $330.00 on Amazon.com but it has gone way up to over $400.00 so I'm thinking that your best bet is Bearcat Warehouse in Maryland so give them a call at 877-568-7226 and ask for Paul for his best advise for your specific area.
Hope this helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.