Need Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddogsranch

I need a handheld scanner that has the ability to pick up analog, digital and AWIN (Southwest Arkansas) frequencies. It would also be wonderful if it was pre-programmed.
I'm a reporter and I use the scanner to find out what's going on. We're in a rural community and some agencies are changing over to digital, but not all...
ANY suggestions would really be welcomed!
Thanks so much!

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Go to the database for your area and click on the RECOMMENDED SCANNER link on the right side of the page.. Most newer scanners will do both Analog and some digital (DMR and Provoice require a one time upgrade)

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I need a handheld scanner that has the ability to pick up analog, digital and AWIN (Southwest Arkansas) frequencies. It would also be wonderful if it was pre-programmed.
I'm a reporter and I use the scanner to find out what's going on. We're in a rural community and some agencies are changing over to digital, but not all...
Thanks so much!
mad dog,
Without knowing your specific county (or counties) of interest, it's hard to make a very specific recommendation. The issue is whether you would need DMR (MotoTrbo) or NXDN ability in addition to analog & digital (as well as AWIN) coverage.

If you want a "pre-programmed" scanner, that would be either Whistler WS1080/-1088 (the 1088 is the current model, with a keypad) or TRX-1. For Uniden, that would be the 436HP.

The WS1080 & WS1088 both can get a free upgrade to cover DMR. The TRX-1 has upgrades available for both DMR as well as NXDN (both at no charge).

The Uniden 436HP can get a paid upgrade for DMR, but no option, at present, for NXDN coverage. The Home Patrol-2 covers analog as well as digital (Phase I & Phase II), but no upgrades for DMR or NXDN are available, and have not been promised. The 436HP can also get a paid upgrade for ProVoice, but I don't believe you have any ProVoice systems in your state.

All of these can be programmed via your location (such as using a zip code). The Uniden scanners can also use an external GPS to automatically enable systems in range, and disable those out of range based on your current location.

AWIN is currently P25 Phase I, but comments on the database page indicate that it is being upgraded to be Phase II capable, so it might be best to get a Phase II capable scanner. All of the ones listed above meet that capability.

I have both the 436HP as well as a TRX-1. I prefer the 436, but purchased the TRX-1 because several cities of interest to me are utilizing NXDN systems.

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
Thanks so much!

Another one for the 436HP. Out of the box you're fine unless there's some DMR you want to receive which is a paid upgrade. The HP2, while an awesome scanner, has no DMR option available is not what I would call a "portable radio". It is a bridge between the 436HP and the 536HP although I do like the FL's and Trunking features better.

436HP for sure with or without the DMR upgrade. Both, and some other Uniden scanners, are programmed and updated weekly. Also, both are Phase II capable so if , sorry when, AWIN changes you will be good to go regardless.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I too agree with the 436. After some initial updating (getting current firmware and database), which is pretty easy even for novice folks, you can get going. All you need to do is enter your zip code and the Service Types you are interested in monitoring, you are up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.