Need reinforcement on a decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

hosehead88

Premium Subscriber
I had been planning to pick up a 996P2 until I started reading about the TRX-2. I love the idea that it has a remote head like I bought for my existing 996XT. I downloaded and played around with the software and I am impressed. Anyone have advice/opinions they can offer?

Swipesy

The safest and best answer to your question would best come from asking on the Pennsylvania forum of someone who lives in the area you are going to be using the scanner and ownes one of your choices.. The most important feature is how well does the radio receive what you want to hear. The Uniden and Whistler radios can vary drastically from system to system.

DJ11DLN

They are both very good scanners. If you need the remote head, my info is that the old version doesn't work with the 996P2 and Uniden no longer makes it nor has any plans for an updated version. The 996's big brother the 536hp has a sort-of remote head function using a smart phone or tablet and a wireless dongle...but read the Uniden forums and you'll see that it's not perfect, though the 536 is an excellent scanner too.

The TRX on the other hand has the hard-wired remote head as well as native support for DMR and NXDN, so if you have any plans to scan those types of modulation, it might tip the scales for you. At this point Uniden offers Provoice and DMR upgrades for some of their scanners, but at an extra charge.

So at the end of the day it comes down to a "chevy vs ford" type of thing...Swipesy's suggestion, i.e. check on the PA board, is a good one. You may find someone not too far away with both types so you can get some face time with each model and thus make a better-informed choice.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Also look at what features you would like. GPS, NDXN, ProVoice, being able to hold on a single site, a "priority" on trunked systems that works the way you think it would and others. I have 2 x 436HP, 396T, 396XT, 996T, 996XT, 780XLT, 3 x GRE-800, and a TRX- 1. I love by far, the GRE/Whistler models. I like the remote control over the Internet on the Uniden models using ProScan but hate the way Uniden does priority on trunked systems. I like the GRE/Whistler software better. I also like the way you can have multiple "virtual scanners" on the GRE/Whistler. With the 436HP (and 536HP) I like that I can hold on a specific site.

If you don't care about the different features, I would have to go with Whistler.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.