Need scanner easier to use than my Uniden Home Patrol 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Excidium28

So I purchased the Uniden home patrol 1 scanner and did thr extreme upgrade, because I guess I needed it because most of today's radios are "trunked". I just can't seem to figure it out when I set everything the location I'm interested in it still get 170 channels and scanner just keeps bouncing all over three place switching channels
/locations every 5 sec. When I lock it in on certain channel there doesn't seem to be much action.

I guess I'm looking for something easier too use self programmable scanner that locks on on the area I'm in.

Do I need am better Antena for the home Patrol? The origional did break Im using one from a wifi router that is pretty similar no noticeable changes since that happened.

I'm somewhat cimputed literate. Can you point me in the right direction.

I am in Portland Oregon area mostly interested in listening to law enforcement channels

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You are using the wrong antenna. WiFi is 2400 MHz, you want something to cover 150-900 MHz.

As to a scanner easier to use: LOL

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
There are no scanners made today that are easy to use, those days are gone unfortunately.

Scanners today are computers that you must learn how to use and the only to do that is read the operators manual while you play with the scanner.

Scanners today are best programmed by software that you must learn how to use and the only to do that is read the software help files while you use the software.

Once you have mastered that you should be able to program your own scanner the way you want or if you can find someone close to you to help set up your scanner.

Good luck.

goodmore

Premium Subscriber
It is your antenna. There is no easier scanner to use that picks up trunked systems. Operating a scanner today requires some basic knowledge to get the most most out of it. The good news is you found the best forum to learn what you need to know. I have just returned to the hobby myself after years of being away from it. I have learned quite a bit just by reading posts here. Good luck to you and I suggest you start by reading posts about antenna replacements. The good news is there are plenty out there.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
There are likely some Youtube videos that might better help you understand how the radio works and how to adjust it to just receive what you want to. I understand that you can do some amazing things with it once you understand the nuances. You might go to the Oregon page here and see if there is anyone close to you that has an HP1 that could give you pointers. Again, I understand that they are quite good radios once you get how to use it.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
You will have a far better experience with your HP-1 if you learn to program it yourself. The Zip Code scan method does make it simple to get started, but as you've discovered it tends to scan a lot of stuff you are not interested in. The Sentinel software is free and not that difficult to learn. It lets you set your radio up so it scans exactly what you want it to scan. I would start by programming just one system, like the Portland Public Safety Radio Sytem, and just the Portland Police channels (aka talkgroups). Once you get that purring along you can begin to add other things, like fire & medical channels, or systems for neighboring counties, or the Oregon State Police, etc. Besides the Youtube videos, another good source of information is the Marks Easier to Read manual which includes instruction for the Sentinel software:

Easier to Read HomePatrol-1/HP-2 Digitall Scanner and Sentinel Manual

marksmith

Agree with everything Spaklehorse says.

Easy to learn the software, and using the database to browse around what is available, and simply append that to a favorites list.

Then you can turn off the full database and just scan what you want.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

Otto

There really is not an easier scanner out there than the Home Patrol touch screen scanners.

That being said, you do sometimes have to fiddle with the settings to get the radio to do what you want it to.

I too live in Portland, and use a HP2. One thing I notice while monitoring trunking systems is that the scanner sometimes locks onto the first control channel it finds. Sometimes that control channel is an infill site that does not have much traffic on it. You might need to go into the advanced setting for each system you want to monitor, and set avoids on all the infill sites, and only listen to the simulcast site, which passes all traffic.

Also make sure you have the correct services you want to monitor enabled.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my ASUS MeMO Pad 7 using Tapatalk

rwier

During the 3 days it took for my first HP-1 to arrive, I read the manual three times, downloaded Sentinel, and created Favorite Lists that I still use today. When was that, about 2010? It's possible that I never once selected the whole Database for scanning. If I did, the total time couldn't have been for more than 5 minutes. Would have had the same wonderful experience with the HP-1s, even if I didn't know the Database was in the radio.

marksmith

During the 3 days it took for my first HP-1 to arrive, I read the manual three times, downloaded Sentinel, and created Favorite Lists that I still use today. When was that, about 2010? It's possible that I never once selected the whole Database for scanning. If I did, the total time couldn't have been for more than 5 minutes. Would have had the same wonderful experience with the HP-1s, even if I didn't know the Database was in the radio.
Yep. Agree. I did much the same. Learn the software before the radio even comes and then the radio does not seem hard at all.

The one time I do use the full database is when traveling and under gps control. It finds stuff I never would.

Mark

rwier

Yep. Agree. I did much the same. Learn the software before the radio even comes and then the radio does not seem hard at all.

The one time I do use the full database is when traveling and under gps control. It finds stuff I never would.

Mark

I don't remember traveling to an unexpected location, at least since I've owned modern scanners. I make FLs based upon the Interstate Hwys I will be using. I append every Channel/TG that I would listen to if I lived at any location along that Hwy. I create those FLs at 100-300 miles per hour. So a couple of hours would get me across Texas, lol. With the GPS operating correctly, I drive cross country, listening to exactly what I would be listening to if I lived right beside the road at any given location. I've went from Phoenix to San Diego to Las Vegas to Phoenix, and never "needed" to touch the radio.

marksmith

I have created some location controlled (gps) favorites lists for some interstate trips I make regularly, but if I am traveling from Maryland down to Florida, or Hilton Head, it is beyond all rationale to think I could determine ahead of time what systems I would be traveling in and out of all along the way in a favorites list.

The full database on gps control does it for me, and I limit the service types to what I want to hear. Can't beat it, and could not duplicate with a favorites list.

Mark

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
The only problem I have with GPS control is that you are relying on the location data in the Radioreference database, which is riddled with inaccuracies. Driving through XYZ town and wondering why you're not hearing XYZ Police? It could well be that town is 20 miles away as far as the database is concerned. It's no one's fault, the database relies on input from users, and as far as I know there is no vetting of the location data. But it sure would be nice if we had some good mapping tools in Sentinel to check the veracity of that data and change it as we see fit. I'm talking about something similar to the mapping tool available in Freescan. I've used that tool to help me improve the location data in some of my Sentinel Favorites Lists, the ones I use when I travel to other parts of my state. PITA to use a separate program for that function, but it did help.

marksmith

I always use the Freescan Google maps tool on any location controlled favorites lists, and agree that some of the data is a little off. I generally find myself either shifting the center point or the range. My favorites lists are pretty good on location and range.

I have also noticed that in some cases the RRDB can be more accurate than the FCC database, which often has the coordinates of some office or filing lawyer as opposed to the transmitter site, etc.

In any case, if I am blasting through North Carolina heading down the east coast, the RRDB using GPS is still the best thing out there for now, and if you get concerned about things missing by 20 miles, you can always increase the range, even under GPS. I usually leave it at zero and get more than anticipated because some things in the database can have a statewide range even though they don't operate statewide and similar issues.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.