Need Scanner For Los Angeles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoshwa

I am wanting to get back into scanning. Currently all I have is a Radio Shack Pro 2034. I want a more contemporary scanner that will pick up the local digital channels in Los Angeles including LAPD, etc. and trunked freq. I primarily want to use it for emergency type of communication, but don't want to be limited. I was looking at the Radio Shack Pro 197 but think that will be too complex for me to program without an interface. So what scanner would be good for me? I would like a base station and a handheld scanner that is simple to program and scan with! I may also get my Ham license at some point so that I can be on the air! Should I be looking at GRE, Radio Shack, Bearcat, etc. etc? Also, if I wanted to get a scanner that will also pick up shortwave communication, what models would I need, or do I need a separate short wave radio for that?? Please help with advice if you can. Thanks.

Clark

Scanner for LAPD

None of new breed of digital and trunking scanners are simple to program. It's the nature of the beast that trunking has become. The digital side is not complicated, the scanner docodes the signal automaticallly.

Clark

Hoshwa

Digital Scanners

Well, I have been doing research and have learned that
most Los Angeles law enforcement agencies are on P25
frequencies. Therefore I do need a digital scanner. Problem
is that most all programming software is not
compatible with Mac computers, which I have. I am not interested enough at this
point to find the workarounds. Perhaps at some point! So my
question is ... if I am willing to just manually punch in frequencies
or program some ranges in, will these scanners work, or do
I absolutely need to use software? Seems like a analog scanner
is becoming useless! Wonder why there is still a following for them?

Eng74

Unless you get the PSR 800 or the Uniden Home Patrole the new scanners are better to program with a computer.

Clark

Digital scanner for Los Angeles

Its been my experience that the Uniden XT models are easier to manually program than the GRE or the Radio Shack (which are GRE ) models. Unless you can find an old PRO 96 which does digital but hasn't been made for maybe about ten years. But the new scanners do so much more. My advice.......go for one of the Uniden XT models, handheld or desk.
Software is not an absolute necessity but sure helps.

Clark

Uplink

Analog scanners still work great, I have several. Yes, you can punch in the freqs if you don't want to get a PC, it's just going to take you longer. LA County Sheriff, and Fire is analog, LAFD, Aircraft and CHP are all analog. Depends on what and where you want to listen to.

TAK21

Go for it

Don't let the software thing stop you. I disagree with the folks who state that you can't do it without software and a computer.

I got back into scanning a couple of months ago after several years away and hearing about local law enforcement going digital. I bought a Radio Shack Pro 197 and I am extremely pleased with it. I really like the Object Oriented Programming. I have programmed in one city with conventional frequencies, one APCO 25 Digital System and a Motorala Trunking System, about 90 scannable objects, all from the control panel on the radio.

I am currently playing around with the WIN500 trial software and I agree that that software will make it much less time consuming and give you a better picture of the overall configuration, but it is not an absolute necessity.

If you are thinking about a Radio Shack or GRE digital radio, the attached document may help you understand the programming model compared to older scanners.

Attachments

• oopScannerExample.pdf
    553 KB · Views: 186
Status
Not open for further replies.