Need Sentienl for my 436...

Status
Not open for further replies.

k8mab

Thank You for your reply... Loaded sentienl ok but gets stuck on launch "Reconstructing full data base"

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I don't have Windows 8, so I don't know for sure. I would guess that you can, because sure as hell everyone would be hollering and complaining if you couldn't.

bear780ks

Yea that's I thought..

I've Tried to ask Paul UPMan but I haven't seen anything on what I've asked..

I know he's been busy because of the 536 issue.. And were I asked my Question may of been in the wrong area to ask.. I put my Question in the Electronics section or Computers I got a new Laptop because my Tower was so Old and out of Date and had Win. XP it would've cost me to much right now to Update it.. It can done as it's a custom tower Box..

So I got a Toshiba Satellite S55-A5176 with the Intel Core i7 it a real nice Laptop but with new software comes the issue of being compatible and so that is why I wanted to Ask.. I'll have to buy the USB connectors to go between the computer and the scanners..

Hopefully Paul will see this and Let me Know..

Last edited:

bear780ks

K did you Download the Sentienl <> then Download the Serial Driver or did you just Download Sentienl and nothing further..

Just wanted to ask & see, I don't have my Scanner just yet but I want to proceed if possible so I have the software updated to the latest) when I get one and I bring it Home, On my HP-1 when I brought it home the first time, I pulled the software from the scanner as soon as I plugged it in..

I Guess i should add since Win 8.1 doesn't have a Start access button any longer, Did you find Sentienl in were all the Windows App's are..

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You might want to visit the following Uniden site (as Jay suggested earlier). It gives step by step information on what to do when you get your new scanner, including when to load the serial drivers and where they can be downloaded:

BCD436HP < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

I'm not a fan of the Windows 8.x tile system - guess I'm just too old and set in my ways.

What I'll do in Windows 8.x is hit the Desktop tile which gets me back into more familiar territory. I've created a shortcut to Sentinel for my desktop (along with the other programs I use regularly).

bear780ks

Need Just a bit more Info

Well I do thank you guys for responding.. I do need a little more extra info..

1. It shows on the Download Site Sentienl and then a little further Down it show were you can Load Windows Drivers,

Well In the past I just loaded Sentienl.) with this New 8.1 Computer Do I do the same just load Sentienl or is best to Load the driver as well.. On my old computer it had the old style hook up to were the included cable that comes with scanner's like the 396/996 it was just a hook up away from getting the software with this computer I need the USB Cable to do it and that is why I was wondering about Downloading the Windows Driver

2. My second ask to Question is I'm still learning some things on this Computer.. it's a day by day process :roll: but moving on 8.1 doesn't have a traditional start button as like in Windows XP so what i was wondering is when the download gets done do you find were to finish Sentienl in the App Drawer or is possibly located on the Desktop..

Using this computer is Dream compared to my old XP machine but it has a learning curve and putting new stuff on it sometimes incurs a bit help..

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
1. You only need the serial drivers if you are going to use it in serial mode with something like Unitrunker or one of the other published utilities. You don't need the drivers for operation with just Sentinel.

2. On my 8.1 it shows up in the app list. Hit the lower left corner, then the down arrow below the tiles and a list of all installed programs appears. It is grouped with other Uniden programs.

bear780ks

Hey Thanks Paul.!! I appreciate you responding I'll give it a Go > sometime Today or Next Monday if I run into any issues I'll let you or the Thread know but it should download OK) And I'm liking the 436HP allot as I can take it on the road were I go just hope it's easy to find one:D

Every Body on the Thread have a Safe Happy Weekend..

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
2. My second ask to Question is I'm still learning some things on this Computer.. it's a day by day process :roll: but moving on 8.1 doesn't have a traditional start button as like in Windows XP so what i was wondering is when the download gets done do you find were to finish Sentienl in the App Drawer or is possibly located on the Desktop..

If you want to use the convetional desktop appearance and wanted to create a shortcut for Sentinel on your desktop:

Once you've gone through the install process for Sentinel, look for:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Unden\BCDx36HP Sentinel\BCDx36HP_Sentinel.exe.

Once you've located it, right mouse click on that file and scroll down to Create shortcut. It will ask if you want to put the shortcut on your desktop. Click Yes. That puts a shortcut for Sentinel on your desktop in Windows 8.1. Then double mouse click the shortcut and Sentinel should start. The icon looks like a shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.