Need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephenVa

I'm newly back into scanning after having the radio off for a couple of years and I'm having trouble hearing my local railroads. A few years ago when I listened they all came in loud and clear here (6 miles from the track). Now after getting my new BCD996XT set up I can't hear them. I've been listening to a local feed and there's lots of traffic, just none coming across my new digital or old analog scanner. Any advice?

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I'm newly back into scanning after having the radio off for a couple of years and I'm having trouble hearing my local railroads. A few years ago when I listened they all came in loud and clear here (6 miles from the track). Now after getting my new BCD996XT set up I can't hear them. I've been listening to a local feed and there's lots of traffic, just none coming across my new digital or old analog scanner. Any advice?

I would say that there was a frequency change.

StephenVa

This is the live feed...
RailroadRadio.net - Orange, Virginia

I've have all the freq. programmed (correctly I hope) on the live feed page as well as some others I've found. I've even downloaded the US railroad database from this site and just scanned it with no luck. Even with all the AAR freq in the scanner I don't hear a single thing, but know there's traffic from the feed.

StephenVa

This is the antenna I'm using. With xmas coming a more expensive antenna will have to wait.
SP800BNC, SPIDER BASE SCANNER ANTENNA 25-1300 MHz FULL FREQUENCY COVERAGE, ANALOG OR DIGITAL with cable and BNC connector - Scanner World - The Largest Dealer of Scanning Radios in the World

I actually got a new one when I bought the scanner to replace the old one (same antenna) that was beat up while in storage. Although new, it's the same antenna I was picking them up on previously. I got great reception with the old one so wanted to stick with it. Also, no joy with the 2 whips I have and the extendable one that came with the new scanner.

I'm getting good reception but no railroad reception.

Railham_CJ

Premium Subscriber
Norfolk Southern Washington District:

AAR Channel 56: 160.950 - CH 1, road and Washington Disaptcher (Greenville, SC)

AAR Channel 9: 160.245 - CH 2, dispatcher to train

AAR Channel 48: 160.830 - CH 2, train to dispatcher

Trackside Analyzers:

MP 91.5 - Somerset

MP 79.2 - Rapidan

MP 64.4 - Inlet

MP 52.7 - Bealeton

Buckingham Branch Railroad Orange, Piedmont, and North Mountain Subdivisions:

AAR Channel 23: 160.455 - road and dispatcher

AAR Channle 40: 160.710 - yard

Try these for a bit if it doesen't work then you might have to go to a mono band VHF Antenna . Have you checked your coax and connections for possible short or break ?

Last edited:

StephenVa

Last edited:

wdx4cwc

Why not go track side with your scanner and try the stock antenna to rule out your base antenna and or frequency input error? If nothing track side, I would think frequency input error. Also just to be sure, check attenuator setting and mode setting too.

Craig/WDX4CWC Orlando, FL

Last edited:

StephenVa

Why not go track side with your scanner and try the stock antenna to rule out your base antenna and or frequency input error? If nothing track side, I would think frequency input error. Also just to be sure, check attenuator setting and mode setting too.

Craig/WDX4CWC Orlando, FL

If I can find my old hand held I'll give it a try next time I'm in town.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
I have all of those loaded. I just picked up some very static laden traffic on AAR 23 160.455. Nothing on any of the others.

Would this antenna be a better choice than my current one for receiving these frequencies?
https://www.scannermaster.com/ST2_Antennacraft_Base_Antenna_with_Kit_p/34-541241.htm

Also can't see anything wrong with the cable. It is brand new and I checked it when I put it up for any damage.

I wouldn't go with that antenna as it receives well, but it's construction leaves something to be desired. If I lived locally I would give you mine.

StephenVa

I went ahead and ordered it after reading a bunch of good stuff on here about it. For the 40 bucks I paid for it (including shipping) I figured it was worth trying out.

StephenVa

The ST2 fixed me right up. Either something has changed or the old spider was better than the new one. Besides the RR's it seems to pick up everything else just as well though. I'm thinking of adding another 10 feet of mast next week and calling the antenna situation done (at least for now).

Status
Not open for further replies.