need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallascowboys

I have the radio shack pro 164, I also have the software and the long cable to program my scanner, but the software sayes I must buy the software that I want is this true? and looking at the software it looks complicated to do is this true? can you help me please.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
I have the radio shack pro 164, I also have the software and the long cable to program my scanner, but the software sayes I must buy the software that I want is this true? and looking at the software it looks complicated to do is this true? can you help me please.

Go to Software for RadioShack PRO-series (PRO-92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 99, 163, 164, 106, 197) and GRE PSR-series (PSR-500, 600, 300, 400, 310, 410) scanners, download WIN97, try it out during the 30 day FREE period. If you like it and want to continte using it, pay the $35 lifetime fee.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Programming Pro-164

Let me see I can help you. From what I see, you have a Pro-164 analog scanner which is made by GRE for Radio Shack:

Pro-164 - The RadioReference Wiki

You can review some of the information associated with this radio.

Sometimes, scanners that use USB programming cables come with the software needed to program the radio the the computer. That is the sole purpose of this software.

However, there is different software available for those who want to program the radio using this USB connection. You can program your radio without this software; however, this can be labor intensive.

After you successfully program the USB cable between your radio and computer, you might want to invest in Win500, software needed to program the radio.

When I looked at Houston County, I saw where some agencies are using LTR radio systems. Radio Reference mentioned the possibility of Houston county joining a P25 digital system in your area.

If this transpires, you won't be able to hear these digital systems without buying a digital scanner. You might check with friends in the area to see when this might come to pass.

Sometimes, the Pro-106 digital hand held scanner can be purchased at a significant savings in pawn shops or through Radio Shack during sales. I don't know if the cable you possess will also work with the Pro-106. I would surely keep what you have until you know for sure which path to take.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pro-164 (psr-300)

I have the radio shack pro 164, I also have the software and the long cable to program my scanner, but the software sayes I must buy the software that I want is this true?
Yes, if you want to use software to program your scanner. Don't confuse software to program your scanner with the software driver for the cable.

and looking at the software it looks complicated to do is this true?
It is not nearly as complicated to use the software as it is to program the scanner directly by hand.

can you help me please.
There is a ton of information on this site regarding this specific issue. The Wiki is a great place to start. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.