• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

need some CB antenna advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB9YBM

One small nit to pick: 108" is actually 1/4 wave on 11m not 102".
Using a 102" whip alone won't work well because it's too short.

If you look at it with an SWR meter. you'll see that--especially with 1/4 wavelength antennas--the antenna has the bandwidth to be acceptable at either length (6" vs. total length is a very small percentage). I've had flat SWR both with and without the spring, no tuning needed on the length of the radiator.

slowmover

102 is a mobile antenna that uses the counterpoise of a metal vehicle.

As a base antenna it will need radials to achieve the same effect of “counterpoise”.

There are low cost antennas used successfully for CB base stations (didn’t say “best”) and one way to get a start is in seeing what the following CB shops sell.

Clays
Bobs
Bells

They don’t want headaches or returns.

Step 2 is in researching where & how to mount with what success others have had.

One of the popular recommendations for DIY is an in-attic dipole built using hardware store supply.

“A stealthy homebrew vertical dipole”, at cbradiomagazine.com is an example of this.

An outdoor household antenna requires grounding from lightning.

Ravenkeeper

Spend an evening or two on each of the lower or upper channels, and just listen. Around here, there's use to be activity on 36 & 38, haven't listened in, since my head-on collision 2 1/2 years ago, haven't installed my radio into my new truck, yet. Antenna is up, but no radio, yet.

prcguy

Were you and Golddigger in the same accident or what???

Spend an evening or two on each of the lower or upper channels, and just listen. Around here, there's use to be activity on 36 & 38, haven't listened in, since my head-on collision 2 1/2 years ago, haven't installed my radio into my new truck, yet. Antenna is up, but no radio, yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.