Need some expert opinion on reception challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

laneends

Bluetooth would work I believe, 30 feet would let me move as I need to but I need to be able to use it with the Sensear noise canceling headsets we use.

I do receive bits and pieces, but I'm not aware of an external antenna option for the 7550e radios we currently use.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Bluetooth would work I believe, 30 feet would let me move as I need to but I need to be able to use it with the Sensear noise canceling headsets we use.

I do receive bits and pieces, but I'm not aware of an external antenna option for the 7550e radios we currently use.

They do antenna adapters, but they can be a bad idea. Usually the antenna adapters are designed for servicing the radios, not long term use. However, it could be an option. When in that space, connect to an external antenna topside, or at least in a better location, and that might solve your needs.
How often are you taking on fuel? Every week or so?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yes roughly once a week, for 2+ hours

OK. Yeah, looks like the BNC adapter would be an option, but long term that might be an issue. Removing the antenna, hooking up the coax and adapter, undoing all that, might take its wear and tear on the radio. But would be a cheap/simple solution.

Any solution that requires buying a new marine VHF radio might just be better solved by sticking a marine VHF radio down in that compartment with an antenna topside.

I'm looking at the Sensear website.
Looks like they don't make interface cables for mobile radios, at least not that I've found, but they do have 'flying lead" with connectors that could interface to a mobile that had the right interfaces.
Also, looks like they have a Bluetooth headset. use that, and move the radio to a position where it has clear communications with the fueling dock, and still in reach of your headset.

laneends

I suppose I never thought to try and pair the 7550e to the headset. The manual for our sensear sm1xsr only covers cell phone pairing, I wonder if I would have ptt control.
I'm not sure what you mean by flying lead. Long term I think a dedicated station would be ideal, but I need to figure out how to interface with the headset. Does Motorola make a vehicle dock for these radios like they used to for the xts line?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I suppose I never thought to try and pair the 7550e to the headset. The manual for our sensear sm1xsr only covers cell phone pairing, I wonder if I would have ptt control.

If the radio supports BlueTooth, then it should. If not, you should be able to do an interface that attaches to the audio/accessory port on the radio. There are plenty of companies that make bluetooth headsets designed to interface with these radios. It's pretty common.

I'm not sure what you mean by flying lead.

"flying lead" is just a term to describe a connector that would fit the headset with a cable with the wires just sticking out the end. Usually used to interface to another piece of equipment, like a mobile radio with received audio, transmit audio and push to talk interface.

Long term I think a dedicated station would be ideal, but I need to figure out how to interface with the headset. Does Motorola make a vehicle dock for these radios like they used to for the xts line?

We can come up with all kinds of cool solutions that use whizz bang technology to make this work.
Sometimes, however, the simple/easy solution is cheapest, best and often much more reliable.
A $150 VHF from WestMarine or Amazon, a long coax extension and a basic VHF antenna would do wonders.

RFI-EMI-GUY

laneends

I am definitely in agreement with the basic vhf, just need to figure out getting it to work with the headset and I should be In business.

Status
Not open for further replies.