Need some help fellas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPROB00

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering how many trunked systems can be monitored at one time with the GRE PRS-500? The scanner will be mainly used as a MARCS radio with the exception of Fairborn PD and HAMCO. If I programmed HAMCO and Fairborn PD into the scanner then how many more towers could I monitor on MARCS. I know that with the other scanners Radio Shack / Uniden you had 10 banks. Hamco equals 1 used, leaving 9 left for MARCS. I'm starting to understand Object Oriented a bit more but I was curious as to how the scanner would work. Some help would be greatly appreciated before I dive into programming it.

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
One V-Folder will hold a max of 1852 blocks, one 1TSYS (Trunk Systems) equals 10 blocks.
Then a single talkgroup will equal 1 block. So whatever you can fit within those parameters is what it will hold.

I currently have the following systems in my everyday file, and it is nearly full.

MARCS
West Chester
Oxford
Warren County
Clinton County
Montgomery County
Dayton
Greene County
WPAFB

I have 30 MARCS sites programmed in, but I can only hear 3-6 sites typically.

You can program up to 32 frequencies per trunk system.

LPROB00

Premium Subscriber
Your saying that I could program in 30 sites and be able to monitor them at one time while driving around? I know however that I'm only going to pick up 3 or so in the area I live, but I'll still be monitoring 30 sites theoretically spealing. With my BC250D I could only monitor 10 sites because if 10 banks.

hoser147

Your saying that I could program in 30 sites and be able to monitor them at one time while driving around? I know however that I'm only going to pick up 3 or so in the area I live, but I'll still be monitoring 30 sites theoretically spealing. With my BC250D I could only monitor 10 sites because if 10 banks.

As Mark stated that is what you have to work with. The 500/600 are very hot as far as reception goes so you may get more than your 3 sites with no problem. Hoser

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin

That would be correct. Also when thinking of how the 500/600 works, wipe the idea of banks and channels completely from your mind. With the PSR-500/600 frequencies, systems, talkgroups and sweeper searches are "Scannable objects" of which there are 1852. You must get away from the conventional bank/channel memory you are accustomed to in order to fully understand how the 500/600 works.

Mark,
Miamisburg, Ohio

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

Yes, you could. The best way to do that would be to program the system as MultiSite STAT. This will have it check each active control channel during the scan cycle - unless you opt to tell it not to scan all CCs, in which case I think it'll scan what it can within the dwell time that you set.

You can have separate TSYS objects for each MARCS site, or if the control channels of the sites you want to monitor will fit into the 32-channel per TSYS object maximum, then you could monitor something between 16 and 32 MARCS sites with one TSYS object, depending on whether you have only the currently active control channels in or all the control channels programmed in that the system may use. The Multisite selection has different options - If you set it to STAT and you drove around day to day, it would scan each site whose control channel it would hear at any given time and skip over those sites whose control channels it could not hear. A very handy feature.

Remember, the more TSYS objects you have, the quicker you use up the available memory - and the more TGIDs you have programmed in, the quicker you use up your memory. THere are a lot of TGIDs in the MARCS system, and you likely will never hear more of them than a few dozen - so program in the most popular ones for the areas you will be in, add a wildcard talkgroup, and set up a single TSYS and run it Multisite STAT and you'll have plenty of room for all kinds of other things as well.

Mike

LPROB00

Premium Subscriber
Wow!!!

WOW!!!! That's all I have to say about the GRE 500! What a scanner! I'm just starting to get the hang of it. For 12 years I've been used to banks, sub banks, channels etc. This thing blows me away! I'm so glad that I got this thing, what an absolutely incredible device!!! lol I wiped my mind clean of the old way and am now getting the hang of the new way and it's pretty darn cool!! Thanks guys! I'm sure I'll have more questions in the coming days.

Status
Not open for further replies.