Need some help for someone with exp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started to use a Bearcat 210 Scanner in secluded part of Franklin County Va. Wondering if it will be strong enough to pick up the signal from local PD. Not familiar with what type of antenna to use. Seen a site Copper Catus J-Pole and wondered if it would be worth trying to build if it would help me or not. Franklin County is still analog from what I gather. Thanks for anyone's help.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Started to use a Bearcat 210 Scanner in secluded part of Franklin County Va. Wondering if it will be strong enough to pick up the signal from local PD. Not familiar with what type of antenna to use. Seen a site Copper Catus J-Pole and wondered if it would be worth trying to build if it would help me or not. Franklin County is still analog from what I gather. Thanks for anyone's help.

You won't be able to receive any frequency which shows a mode of "P25" which is digital.

Franklin County, Virginia (VA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Also I don't know if the 210 will receive the narrow band frequencies. (154.22750,154.09250).

They are VHF which usually has good range. Try a back-of-set antenna first.

Last edited:

N8IAA

Thanks for your reply. Guess I need to start looking for another scanner. Thanks again.

Not neccessarily. Your county is still conventional. Not digital trunked. If you have no interest in listening to VA STARS, the digital trunked, which Franklin County is not a part of, your 210 will still receive the two narrow banded frequencies. It just won't be as loud. If, however, you wish to upgrade to a scanner that does the narrow band frequencies, RS has the Pro-163/164 refurbished scanners for under $100. New for $180. Just thought I'd throw in my two cents worth which can save you some money:)
HTH,
Larry

Thanks for the info on the RS refurbished scanner. Most have been out of my price range but this may be something I can afford. Again thanks a lot. There is more to scanners than I thought but this is a great site for learning. That to all ya'll out there for the great information you have provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.