Need some help re: new talk group

Status
Not open for further replies.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
While listening to the new scanner (536HP) tonight, I came across two unidentified talk group. What appeared to be dispatch was t/g 738 and the unit in the field was 33130. I think this was related to a medical transport call to or from Cape Fear and Spring Harbor. As a new transplant to Wilmington it's a bit harder for me to connect the dots. I don't want to submit this for inclusion until I have these confirmed. Is anyone else familiar with these?

Last edited:

oft

Premium Subscriber
thecop:

New Hanover County, North Carolina (NC) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

at the bottom of the page is a list of radio systems in New hanover County, from here click on the "New Hanover County P25 System" link

on this page you will find

33130 816a D VITALINK Vitalink Hospital

Here is a description

Critical Care Transport Wilmington, North Carolina (NC) - New Hanover Regional Medical Center

-------------------

I am not familiar with a "Spring Harbor" but there is a assisted care living center (nursing home) called "Spring Arbor" in the Pine Valley section of the ILM

--------------------

Now the 738 is new to me. I have no idea - i will be on the lookout for that one

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
While listening to the new scanner (536HP) tonight, I came across two unidentified talk group. What appeared to be dispatch was t/g 738 and the unit in the field was 33130. I think this was related to a medical transport call to or from Cape Fear and Spring Harbor. As a new transplant to Wilmington it's a bit harder for me to connect the dots. I don't want to submit this for inclusion until I have these confirmed. Is anyone else familiar with these?

I do believe you are confusing the Radio ID (RID) with the Talkgroup ID (TGID).
The TGID on the New Hanover Radio System was 33130 which matches up
with the VITALINK Medical Transport Service TG in the database:
qpsMkec.jpg

I am also willing to bet that the Radio ID (RID) or Unit ID (UID in Uniden terms) was the 738 that you saw.
Here is a look at the BCD536HP Display:
W5nkAMm.jpg

In this example the TGID is 30272 (Chapel Hill PD Dispatch) and the Unit ID (UID or RID) is 739889. Uniden Scanners omit the 1st digit.
Hope this helps!
Marshall KE4ZNR

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Thank you both. I can't believe I didn't see this.
Sigh...I've become one of those with whom I have little patience. This is a good life lesson and I will try harder to put myself in others shoes before I leap to judge.
Oft, I appreciate your time.
Marshall, your expertise is exceeded only by your patience!

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Thank you both. I can't believe I didn't see this.
Sigh...I've become one of those with whom I have little patience. This is a good life lesson and I will try harder to put myself in others shoes before I leap to judge.
Oft, I appreciate your time.
Marshall, your expertise is exceeded only by your patience!

Hey, we have all been there. :)
The fun part is finding out that there is always something more to learn
in the hobby.
And RR.com would be no fun if everyone already knew everything! :D
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

macboney

Talkgroup not listedroup I

MarshaLL, In the New Hanover County P25 system I frequently hear country fire units being told to use PS3. In the Public Safety section there is no PS 3 listed. I tried using the talkgroup # 33004 (PS4 listed as 33005) and was able to get PS3 traffic. Maybe need to add this to the database?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
MarshaLL, In the New Hanover County P25 system I frequently hear country fire units being told to use PS3. In the Public Safety section there is no PS 3 listed. I tried using the talkgroup # 33004 (PS4 listed as 33005) and was able to get PS3 traffic. Maybe need to add this to the database?

Let me do some research on this.
I think you might be correct in this.
Thanks! :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

macboney

Public Safety talkgroup PS3 New Hanover Co.

I did some checking on this and in the last 30 minutes have found another change. The 33004 talkgroup is listed as the Wilmington Police Dept OPS C group. Just a few minutes ago the county fire was using the 33004 as PS3 so ther must have been a reassignment of that talkgroup ID. My scanner are set up with talkgroup list by agency so it was easy to check. Also I sent you a reply to your email about a Kenwood ATK5400. If you read that and have any info that would help I would appreciate it very much.

WA4MJF

Could it be just different depts calling the same TG a different
name.? Here in Wake some call our TACs OPs and vice versa,
even TCs.

Ronnie

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
I agree. While monitoring this morning (2/1 @ 0907) I also heard the Wilmington P.D. Ops talk group 33004 used as a county fire PS3 transmission.

I did some checking on this and in the last 30 minutes have found another change. The 33004 talkgroup is listed as the Wilmington Police Dept OPS C group. Just a few minutes ago the county fire was using the 33004 as PS3 so ther must have been a reassignment of that talkgroup ID. My scanner are set up with talkgroup list by agency so it was easy to check. Also I sent you a reply to your email about a Kenwood ATK5400. If you read that and have any info that would help I would appreciate it very much.

macboney

WPD OPS C & PS3

I guess it is possible that it is different agencies using different names for the same talk group but I doubt it. I never hear WPD using a talkgroup name and PS3 is in constant use by city & county fire & EMS. 911 Center assigns the fire & EMS units to a talkgroup for use when they arrive on scene etc. and they are the ones assigning PS3. They also assign TAC talkgroups that are listed as such under county fire in the database. So far except for this one talkgroup the assignment and use fits the data base descriptions. Over the past few days I have heard very little activity on WPD talkgroups but huge amounts of traffic on the PS talkgroups by WPD. They are even being dispatched on the PS talkgroups. I am wondering if the city has a tower or two down for some reason and are using the PS talkgroups as an alternative right now.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
THANK YOU! I really appreciate the education! I have been going nuts trying to figure this stuff out. As a new resident I was having a heck of a time trying to make sense of the radio assignments. Can you help me understand how or why a public safety t/g is used? I mean, for a small city to have 11 or 12 fire tac talk groups and the police to have 7 or 8 public safety talk groups seems a bit like overkill. Is there any rhyme or reason to which talk groups is used? As a retired police officer and one who was responsible for, among many other things, our department dispatch services, I can't imagine a dispatcher monitoring and dispatching on all of those talk groups at one time!

oft

Premium Subscriber
I have heard comms in the past referring to tgid 33004 as "switch to OPS C " by the WPD and also "you will use TAC3 (or some say PS3)" by WFD and EMS and the comms went to tgid 33004.

While out on snow day, I've picked up a new tgid # 33497 throughout the day and I believe that it is either the landfill or the recycling center (or shared by both) because the comms were about the load cells on the scales freezing up overnight and how their customers will be angry if they couldn't unfreeze the scales. I know both places have professional heavy duty drive-up scales where you are weighed before and after for pricing determination.

macboney

New Hanover P25

Fire TAC 3 is 33138. I am not sure why PS3 33004 is being used like it is. As for having a lot of talkgroups for a small city, all fire agencies in the county share all the fire and PS talkgroups as well as EMS using them. Probably seems like overkill having all the talkgroups but I would think it is for future growth. When I first went to work at PD we were using the old VHF system and went to UHF with repeaters in late 70's. Back then WPD had one freq for everything. Big changes since then. All this digital is still confusing but starting to make sense now. All the county fire agencies are dispatched on the same group and all use the PS and fire tac groups as well as EMS using the PS groups. So that is 5 fire departments plus EMS on the same talkgroups. EMS has their own groups but they use them for EMS only stuff. Any time they are responding with a fire unit they use the PS or fire tac groups. Vitalink and the ER groups are EMS only. You will hear WPD and Sheriff on the same talkgroups particularly the inner city/downtown task force. I hear WPD vice or gang task force a lot on the PS groups as well.

nc28478

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (indulge: Mozilla/5.0 (Android; Mobile; rv:26.0) Gecko/26.0 Firefox/26.0)

Anyone have the latest wilmington updates?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (indulge: Mozilla/5.0 (Android; Mobile; rv:26.0) Gecko/26.0 Firefox/26.0)

Anyone have the latest wilmington updates?

The latest updates should be in the database listing here at RR.com.
If there are changes/updates then those need to be submitted using
the RR.com Submission process so that the database can be updated.
Just passing along talkgroups here in the forums does not help keep the database
updated.
Take a couple of extra minutes and help RR.com keep the database updated.
Thanks!
Marshall KE4ZNR

nc28478

Premium Subscriber

copy.
anybody with changes please submit to the database.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Hearing what sounds like maintenance comms on the New Hanover Regional Medical Center on talk group 41 which has not yet been listed in the database. Comms re: pumps being turned on and off.
Marshal, I don't know if I should start a Wilmington thread or keep posting here, but say the word and it will be done.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Just to help you out don't get confused about the 2 radio systems in the area.
There is the New Hanover County P25 System and then a separate New Hanover Regional Medical Center radio system.
Like I said above: Please submit any verified talkgroups through the database submission process so they can be added to the database:
Submit Data to RadioReference
Thanks!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Hearing what sounds like maintenance comms on the New Hanover Regional Medical Center on talk group 41 which has not yet been listed in the database. Comms re: pumps being turned on and off.
Marshal, I don't know if I should start a Wilmington thread or keep posting here, but say the word and it will be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.