Need Some Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd2ael

I recently got a yaesu 8900r but it has the mars and cap mod to go out of band. along with radio i got the programming software called ftb8900 cant seem to figure it out. would someone be able to help me out with the program or possibly make a code plug and send me the file for ny ham repeaters ?

KQ4BX

Premium Subscriber
You can find your local repeaters via Google, and putting them in the radio would be good practice for programming the radio. I have the 8800, and it is easy to program. The repeater lists can be downloaded as a PDF file. You might not want them all, but you can pick whichever ones interest you most. You might want to find your local Amateur Radio club, also easy to find via Google. If you join them, you will get all the help you need, and mabye make some new friends.

n0zed

There is no " code plug " and G4HFQ Software - FTB8900 is prob the best software to use. as kq4bx said you should learn the key pad also so you would be able program on the fly

KQ4BX

Premium Subscriber
To learn to program the radio, fist start by getting familiar with it. the book is a very good place to start. There are a few things you will set for your repeaters. Each area of the country has a PL tone to keep the repeaters from interacting. So whatever that PL tone is, is something you set in the radio menu of settings.
The general idea is put the radio in VFO mode and dial in the frequency for the repeater output. Then make sure the offset is correct, then the PL tone is correct, and set to whatever the repeater calls for. The tones are accessed by one of the front buttons, and the button cycles through several possibilities.
The most likely tone control is Enc, short for Encode. That means that your radio will only send tone, not need to receive it There are a few choices, stop when the display shows the proper tone setting. the frequency of the tone is set in the menu. Once you have a frequency, offset, and tone correct, test it by accessing the repeater. If you don't activate the repeater, you have something that is not right. Once you have it all right, you want to save it to a memory location. the book describes how to save to memory locations.
I can't stress enough how much you show try to join your local Ham Club, and make some Ham friends. My Ham Friends have been lifetime friends, I've know them for longer than I can remember. Hams all have one thing in common, they love to help others. You will learn much from other hams. Then there is the Internet, Google can help you learn anything, including ham radio. Good luck, and don't worry about asking questions. I have the FT8800, and it programs just like the 8900, and some others, including the TYT-9800, which is a Yaesu knock off in every way but quality.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
RTFM. An advantage of amateur radios over most other services, is that they are programmable without needing software. There is a reason for this. So the first thing one should do is get used to RTFM and learn how to program the radios manually. Then when you are in the situation of having to input a new frequency, change the PL, change the power, change the offset, change the offset frequency, etc., you will be able to do this without having to take the time to hook up a computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.