Need some ideas/suggestions for antenna mounting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

squadman

Feed Provider
I currently live in a apartment complex, 1st floor apartment and need some ideas on a scanner antenna and mounting. Currently I have a Pro 2055 with a Radio Shack magnetic mount antenna connected to it, the antenna is just sitting on my window sill and for the most part seems to pick up our Co. Dispatch Center, put not much else unless they are very close by.

Looking for a better antenna and also anyway to better mount it? The bad part is that the apartment complex doesn't allow any kind of antenna to mounted outside and I don't have attic access.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks in advance!

specman

squadman said:
Looking for a better antenna and also anyway to better mount it? The bad part is that the apartment complex doesn't allow any kind of antenna to mounted outside and I don't have attic access.

You probably have the number 1 problem with the hobby, and while it's been discussed here over and over again I'll give you a few things to consider:

1. What do you want to listen to? The frequencies of interest will dictate what antennas will be appropriate.

2. There is very little compensation for antenna height. Try to find a location in your home that is the highest possible. Some ideas include top of fridge/cupboard; taping/hanging it from ceiling etc.

3. Think simple; in your situation a discone might not be too practical, but one of those homebrew "twin-lead" antennas that tack to a wall might be perfect. Have a look in the antenna wiki here or use google; Hundreds of others have faced the same challenge and some have come up with some acceptable results.

N4JNW

Yo squadman', Let me know what you decide to do and how it works out.. I too will be moving to an apartment in a year or so, and I am in need of ideas too!!

squadman

Feed Provider
The frequencies that I monitor all the time are,

Low Band 33.56 - 34.00
VHF 154.00 - 165.00
UHF 400's for our new EDACS system.

N4JNW

What I done, to improve my scanning a little bit, was took a old peice of RG-58 CB coax, and stripped about 12 and a half inches of the braided shield off one end. Put on a BNC on the other and, and push-pinnedthe top of the coax in the corner of my wall in my bedroom.

Works great, and it's simple to make. I dunno how it would work for you, but what do you lose if it don't?

specman

squadman said:
The frequencies that I monitor all the time are,

Low Band 33.56 - 34.00
VHF 154.00 - 165.00
UHF 400's for our new EDACS system.

Okay, those are reasonable to work with. As a test you should see if simply getting your current antenna up a bit higher makes things better; try putting it on a cookie sheet and place it up on a shelf etc., or tie a string on it and hang it from up high. Better? Good.. then we can try a better antenna but we'll still be looking at similar mounting arrangements. No better? Oh oh... might be able to try something else but I fear you might be too limited on what you can do.

You might get suggestions of trying a pre-amp for this, but I doubt it would improve much.

Status
Not open for further replies.