Need some input for Aerial Selection please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepperami

Hey Guys!!

Aerials.....

Having brought a scanner after nearly 20 years of being away from it (I was a novice so it’s still all new to me) I decided to take the plunge once again as I did enjoy it

So because of my location on the South Coast of the UK with the South Downs to my North and me living in a single storey house I know to get the best out of this Whistler TRX-1 I’m going to need an external Aerial.

I’ve seen a couple of heavy duty wall mounts and also a 2 piece mast as well (I might get two of those and have it really high lol) so that part I can sort myself but the Aerial I’m sure is a bone of contention to many

My friend has said he has a Black-diamond by Sandpiper I’m sure you know it, says it’s a really good Antenna for the money, but back 20 years ago when I did some scanning I had a Discone

Now I’m not entirely sure as to what I’ll be listening to the most on the TRX-1, Airband I’m sure, Marine as I’m on the coast definitely, Shop Watch and DMR transmissions yes, the ISS when it’s overhead 100% but what do I need given I’ve a wide range of listen choice?

If you have any suggestions I’d really appreciate it!!

Cheers Guys!

Hit_Factor

I have a discone, you used to. Probably still a good choice for your varied band monitoring. Using lmr400 and n connectors will help reduce loss for the high UHF. Use a short jumper of flexible coax between the scanner and lmr400 to reduce strain, if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.