Need some input on site frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

08GMC4X4

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.304 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I live in Morris County NJ and monitor MIRS TRS. I had all 4 sites programmed into my 396xt. My question is: will I miss any radio traffic if I make 1 site. For instance; I took all the frequencies for all four sites and put them into 1 site and labeled it Morris County. I figure this way I don't have to switch sites while driving throughout the county. I haven't had any problems thus far. Can someone with more knowlede please chime in what the pros/cons of doing this are. I programmed the scanner using freescan and all I did was add all frequencies from the other 3 site into one site.

W6KRU

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't do it that way. The scanner will latch on one site and stay there until the level drops to a pre-determined level that you don't have any control over. Only then will it look for another control channel. There is also the question of which groups are repeated on which sites. Some systems only repeat the traffic on the site that the radio is currently affiliated with. That is dependent on system configuration though and might or might not be acceptable for the way that you want to monitor.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.304 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I live in Morris County NJ and monitor MIRS TRS. I had all 4 sites programmed into my 396xt. My question is: will I miss any radio traffic if I make 1 site. For instance; I took all the frequencies for all four sites and put them into 1 site and labeled it Morris County. I figure this way I don't have to switch sites while driving throughout the county. I haven't had any problems thus far. Can someone with more knowlede please chime in what the pros/cons of doing this are. I programmed the scanner using freescan and all I did was add all frequencies from the other 3 site into one site.

I do this with Starcom sites 101, 102,115. It does work if you put in all the Talkgroups for the systems you plan on monitoring. This is safer to do when driving, so you're not distracted to press buttons to open/close systems.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Dumb question: why not simply assign the sites using GPS coordinates, and let Location Based Scanning take care of locking/unlocking sites? That's a heckuva lot safer than having to fool around with leaning over and pushing buttons....73 Mike

08GMC4X4

No gps, I haven't had any problems yet. I am receiving all comms with no problems. I was under the impression that GRE scanners are capable of scanning this way but, Unidens couldn't.

W6KRU

Premium Subscriber

No gps, I haven't had any problems yet. I am receiving all comms with no problems. I was under the impression that GRE scanners are capable of scanning this way but, Unidens couldn't.

GRE scanners can be set to Roam or Stat for multiple sites. In Roam you can set the levels used to make a decision when to switch to another site and in Stat the scanner will scan all of the sites. The Unidens have to be to be manually switched from one site to another unless you use a GPS . Each brand has their own quirks to be dealt with.

08GMC4X4

Has anyone else tried this? I would appreciate any input. Should I post this in the NJ forum?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That would be my suggestion - just reword the question and topic so you don't get caught with the 'no posting the same question in multiple forums' rule, hi...you're certainly more likely to run into more Morris County scannists that way....73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.