Need some install suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRichard

I drive a 2005 Pontiac Pursuit (Chevy Cobalt rebadged). I own a PRO-97 and would like to have an antenna outside of the vehicle but it's leased so the obvious hole options are out of the question. Not to mention it has a sunroof taking away valuable roof space. If I felt that this might be a car I wanted to buy I'd consider it but I don't think this one's a keeper.

Anyway, I've read about antenna radiating patterns and how roof mounted is the ideal option for the best performance but I'm hoping there are other decent alternatives. I've tried placing the magmount antenna in the middle of the trunk but the results were a little disappointing.

Would a trunk-lip mount on either side of the trunk be better? Not in the center of the trunk. I read where the car itself detunes antennas if they aren't in the clear like on the roof.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks for your time,

Jeff

mcema699

Antenna Placement

Read through some earlier posts in this forum for some ideas.

Center front of trunk is better than sides. Center of the car is better than out towards bumpers. A center loaded antenna is better than a base loaded one.

rcvmo

It is very possible to have a roof mounted antenna where very close to a moon roof.
I did 3x F-150's slated for the Gulf last year. All had moon roof's, and lightbars. There is at least 2" space (roof to headliner) just behind the window fully open to allow for any antennas to be placed. Yep, you may have to pull the headliner, but it's worth the effort if you want something that will endure the elements.
rcvmo

rpgbigman

If you don't listen to AM on your car Radio Tie into that wire with a splitter. from Radio shack. cheep easy and no holes.
I use my AM FM ant for VHF AND local UHF and works great! but the AM dosn't work on my radio any more.

hsdtech

Richard,

Get the best mag mount scanner antenna you can and mount it on the roof behind the sunroof (or somewhere on the roof).
Depending on what bands you are really interested in, you could also use ham antennas made for the specific band (VHF, UHF, etc).
A good decent antenna should give you good/great results even if mag mounted.
Good Luck.

-Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.