• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need some quick help with an XTS3000R

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd7nmn

I picked up a XTS 3000R last night and need some help. I programmed in a couple local amateur repeaters but the audio coming out of the repeater sounds horrible. However if I transmit in simplex it sounds just fine. What if anything needs to be done to the TX options? Right now I have the following

Transmit Deviatio: 5 kHz
Transmit Deviation T/A: 5 kHz
Channel Spacing: 25 kHz
TX Voice / Signal Type: non-Astro
Transmit Emphasis: Checked
Reverse Burst / Turn-Off Code: Checked

C

comsec1

I hat to say it but its probably the reason someone was getting rid of it.

kd7nmn

comsec1 said:
I hat to say it but its probably the reason someone was getting rid of it.

If that were the case wouldn't simplex sound bad also?

--Scott

43g70

What do other user on the repeater sound like?

It could be a crappy repeater.

mm

Open Astro XTS3000 CPS and expand on the RADIO CONFIGURATION menu and click on the RADIO WIDE menu pull down list then look for AUDIO GAIN OPTIONS and see if ANALOG is checked. If so uncheck it, this may or may not be your problem.

If it is not checked then I'd suspect that your radios RF board may have been changed out and not properly aligned and this sounds more like your problem.

The repeaters IF bandwidth is probably tighter than the IF bandwidth of the radio that you are using to listen to in talkaround mode.

Or the repeater could also be passing thru CTCSS tones which if they are excessively high will cause distortion on the repeated audio.

You will need to use ASTRO RADIO Tuner and go into the TRANSMITTER ALIGNMENTS and look for TRANSMITTER DEVIATION LIMIT, you will need to click on help the see the correct alignment procedure.

Another thing which may cause the problem is the TX DEVIATION BALANCE being misaligned, this is also is in the same Astro TUNER TX alignment menu.

If the low frequency compensation is set to high then CTCSS tone deviation will be excessive causing audible hum in the TX as mentioned above.

The excessive CTCSS Deviation may come across higher than normal when transmitting thru the repeater, especially if the repeater is not balanced correctly between RX and TX.

While in Tuner also check the REFERENCE OSCILLATOR and make sure it is set on frequency.

Either way if you go into TUNER you will need some way to measure CTCSS tone and TX audio deviation along with the tx frequency.

Mike

kd7nmn

I appreciate the input. I did some more playing around and it sounds fine. Not sure if I was getting external interference or what the deal is. I've now used it a few times with great reports.

Thanks
Scott

fineshot1

kd7nmn said:
I appreciate the input. I did some more playing around and it sounds fine. Not sure if I was getting external interference or what the deal is. I've now used it a few times with great reports.

Thanks
Scott

Scott - not sure what your using to measure the deviation. I always set mine up for about 4.4 - 4-6Khz with PL Tone(about 500-600Hz). This should be plenty for any commercial or amateur repeater. Anytime I have ever had a problem with deviation through a repeater and it sounds fine on simplex its always a but too high for the repeater in question(some seem to be a bit more sensative than others). It may be usable if you keep backed off the mic.....

Status
Not open for further replies.