Need some study help

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Evening all. I have decided to study and attempt my tech exam. Can anyone point me in the right direction for sites online for free study aids and or practice exams. I just started a new job in Manhattan and 2 nights out of the 5 are overnights 11pm-7am and its gets really boring really fast. My boss has no problem with me reading during the overnights. So i want to use that time to study as much as i can before the test.

Thanks
Mike

Howdy_All

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi,
This is my first post here so please be gentle.

My comment to you is that you have no radio experience - hence you need all the help you can get.
If you are sincere about becoming a licensed amateur radio operator and not just a appliance operator - you need to get some books and do some reading and research and learn the things you need to know to be a good operator.

I hope that some forum members here will back me up on this one.
Just passing the tests and getting your license will never make you a ham radio operator.
Just look at QRZ.com and all the licenses that are left go every month and you will see that the luster of amateur quickly wears off - if you don't know what you are doing and if you do not have anyone to talk to.

Real Hams - tends to attract other hams.
CB'rs - tends to attract other CB'rs

Find a Gordon West or a ARRL Technician Class License Manual and read them from cover to cover.
The FCC Part 97 is another book to read - except you can find it online - free.
There is also operator manuals the ARRL offers which explains how radios works and how to properly install them.

The Technician Class License is just the gateway to amateur radio.
Its not designed to be a place to stay, but just a stepping stone.
Amateur radio is a lot of work and costs a lot of money.
If you cannot afford to invest the time to learn what you will need to learn - for a lifetime of a hobby - then I highly doubt if you are going to want to commit yourself to joining a club and learning more about amateur radio.
It is a very expensive hobby - both in time and in money.

SCPD

QRT
Howdy: Thank you for taking the time to post what you did.

True i have no "ham" experience but i do have experience with radios in general (modding & building from kits).

I don't want to just learn the question and answer pool.

CB no thank you. Did it when i was 15 till about 20

Part 97 just downloaded it now from here.
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/Part 97 - 04-28-2011.pdf

I have to step on that first stone before i can make way to the other ones :) Im going to take it slow and see how i can progress.

Thank you again
Mike

Howdy_All

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You are welcome Mike - come back when you get your ticket and we can give you some advice on which radios, power supplies, coax and antenna's to buy.

N8IAA

Mike, the best way to learn about ham radio is to find a local club that has classes. You can go to www.arrl.org and find a list of clubs and classes in your immediate area. Book learning is only a part of what ham radio is. I've been licensed since 1985 and have participated in a lot of different parts of ham radio. Some fun, some not. But you can find out faster by having hands on experience with someone who enjoys the service:)
HTH,
Larry

SCPD

QRT
Thanks Larry i have been listening to a lot more of my local ham repeaters just to get an idea as to what is going on. I actually enjoy the book learning and theory.

Zagadka

I just started a new job in Manhattan and 2 nights out of the 5 are overnights 11pm-7am and its gets really boring really fast.

I work nights too. Try this: Ham Radio (Tech) Podclass. It's a minor pain to download each of the 17 chapters but it's worth it. The info is a little dated but put it on your phone or ipod and just listen to it over and over. Then go to Become a Ham and download all these podcasts of Jerry Taylor reading the actual test questions and listen to that over and over. Then, as suggested above, try the online tests several times and you should be good to go. Worked for me, I got 100%.

May it serve you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.