Need to determine LCNs for Troy NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you mind letting us know what scanner your bearcat is?

It's a Bearcat BCD996P2

I went to the RRDB site linked in the other comment, and am still not sure where the LCNs are. I don't have a subscription if that is what's holding me back...

Right now I have the frequencies programmed: 855 is LCN 1, 856 is 2, 857 is 3, 858 is 4, 859 is 5, and 860 is 6. But I'm only hearing things come across 855, 856, and 858, and I'm not hearing every communication that comes across the Broadcastify feed, so I'm presuming I messed up the LCNs...

TY!!

All you need to do is enter the site near you as P25 Trunking and enter the Talkgroups you want to hear the scanner will do the rest you do not need the LCN for this system.

Thank you. Is there a reason why I hear only some communications/freqs and not all? I'm comparing what my scanner is putting out with what is playing over the broadcastify feed to make sure I'm getting everything, which I am not.

And how do I determine if it should be programmed in as wide, narrow, or scattered?
Sorry. I'm clearly new to this lol I feel like I'm learning another language!

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like you have the scanner programmed as CONVENTIONAL it needs to be setup as a P25 Trunking.
Are you doing this by HAND or SOFTWARE?
If doing this by Software what SOFTWARE are you using?

It sounds like you have the scanner programmed as CONVENTIONAL it needs to be setup as a P25 Trunking.

I am doing it by hand. I had downloaded FreeScan and I got stuck at setting up the COM port, so I have been doing it manually since...

NuthinFancy

Premium Subscriber
Capital Digitronics is EDAC Standard Which carries The Troy police, Troy Public Safety is a P25 System that also has the Troy police. It is newer system. You can hear the Troy police on the Rensselaer County P25 system as well.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
All you need to do is enter the site near you as P25 Trunking and enter the Talkgroups you want to hear the scanner will do the rest you do not need the LCN for this system.
The system in question is EDACS, not P25. Please familiarize yourself with what is being discussed if you're going to chime in.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The LCN's are the little numbers next to the frequencies. For Site 6 it's very simple, as the LCN's are assigned in ascending order by lowest to highest frequency.

You may also want to try your luck with the two P25 systems that supposedly carry Troy PD via a patch from the EDACS system. As @NuthinFancy mentioned, those are either the Troy Public Safety P25 system or the Rensselaer County P25 system.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Right now I have the frequencies programmed: 855 is LCN 1, 856 is 2, 857 is 3, 858 is 4, 859 is 5, and 860 is 6. But I'm only hearing things come across 855, 856, and 858, and I'm not hearing every communication that comes across the Broadcastify feed, so I'm presuming I messed up the LCNs...
You have the LCN correct, believe it or not. It's a standard EDACS system, so you'll want it setup that way. As Cornholio said, it's the little numbers above. You may be missing comms for any number of reasons, from the service type isn't enabled to the scanner isn't receiving all the frequencies. You can try switching your scanner to full database mode, put in your zip code, and manually hold-tune the system till you get there.

As Bob550 also said above, you should look into the subscription. You can download systems into Sentinel and other software with it. It'll make your life easier.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Actually, there are three systems at play here: Capital Digitronics EDACS, Troy P25, and Rensselaer County P25.

The EDACS system is the primary system used by the City of Troy, most notably the PD. The two P25 systems have a patch from the EDACS system. So yes, it's possible to listen to the PD by listening to either of those P25 systems, but it's not optimal since the audio is not first generation. Analog patches to P25 always sound lousy.

So after fiddling around with it some more, I'm now getting static in place of the talking on the frequencies that I'm not hearing. So when someone should be coming in over the scanner I hear static instead. I'm essentially hearing half of the conversation, because some freqs are working and others are just static. What am I missing?

wtp

turn the squelch up to 2...
Press HOLD. Find a comfortable volume level. Rotate the SQ knob counterclockwise all the way then clockwise until the noise stops, then one notch more. Press HOLD to resume scanning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.