Need to know about BC346XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich83

For a while Iv been wanting to upgrade to a trunk tracking scanner as I live in Ames and most of whats in my area is Motorola Smartnet etc and Im sick of listening to part conversations. I like Uniden and as much as I would love to have the BCD396XT there aint no way I can afford or convince my wife that I need to spend $500 on a scanner... so I was looking at the BC346XT as its cheaper and does mostly what I want of it. My question is does it cover mil-air because some place's Iv seen a reviews and it says it does and some place's Iv seen reviews I'm not so sure? Also does anyone own one of these "especially if your local" and are they any good?

Cheers

Rich

Haley

Rich, I live over by Marshalltown, and have had my 346 for about 6 weeks. My opinion is that this is the BEST analog trunking scanner out (and I have owned several). While I dont monitor many Motorola systems, this scanner is GREAT on the RACOM network. Also very good, on VHF-UHF.

It does not have MIL-AIR. Its only downfall in my opinion. I am hoping(as are others), that Uniden will offer this as an upgrade in the future. This scanner has many features, I printed off a hard copy of the manual, so I would have a reference other than the CD. Mike

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Uniden 346XT

I just sold my 246 and bought the 346, its a much better scanner and the audio is great, loud and clear....Its very sensative yet does not overload....The new ID and freqy #ing system with the new backlite red is great....Its one of the best scanners i have ever owned...I bought it from CEI-ScanUSA in AnArbor Mich. for $214.95 shipped....Great people to buy from.....

MarkWestin

If you are looking for a Uniden scanner and you want or need to have Mil Air then I would recommend looking for a BR330T. It doesn't have the very latest feature set like the BC346XT, but has almost the same feature set as the BCD396T with four major differences: 1. Race features. (Non features to me). 2. Almost continuous frequency coverage. 3. 2500 channels. 4 No Digital. This radio was discontinued a few months ago, but is one of my favorites.

Mark

Muskratt

I've been really happy with my 346. I use the 800mhz band and the 150/460 mhz mostly. On 800mhz with the rs800 antenna, i can receive from in the house a trunking system 30 miles away consistently. Have used the radio in the car and it does overload briefly when you go by those cell towers, but it's nothing major. On 150/460, I consistently receive signals from about 35 miles out. Again, this is from in the house but using the diamond rh77ca antenna. The rs800 receives 460mhz pretty well, but doesn't do so well on the 150 band. The past few days it has been fun listening to the 150 vhf band since there has been alot of tropo going on around here. Yesterday, I was receiving signals as far as 150 miles south of me. Today, the signals were coming from the north of me, again, it was about 150 miles and the signals were strong. I was using the rh77ca antenna in the house. I've used the 346 quite a bit at home and on the road and I gotta say that uniden got things exactly right as far as sensitivity goes on this one. The only major thing I would change is the antenna connector. I prefer a bnc type connector.

Muskratt

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
If you are looking for a Uniden scanner and you want or need to have Mil Air then I would recommend looking for a BR330T. It doesn't have the very latest feature set like the BC346XT, but has almost the same feature set as the BCD396T with four major differences: 1. Race features. (Non features to me). 2. Almost continuous frequency coverage. 3. 2500 channels. 4 No Digital. This radio was discontinued a few months ago, but is one of my favorites.

Mark

I wish more people liked the BR330T and it sold more so Uniden would't have discontinued it. The only change I would make on it is the Tone-Out search, other than that it's a great handheld for non-P25. Grab one if you can. Good for night time powerhouse shortwave and broadcast stations too.

The BC346XT is an excellent replacement to the BC246T. I love the new features, DMA memory, multi-site, band scope, CC output, IFX, Close Call Do Not Disturb. The background color isn't bad and it's a great grab and go radio.

Rich83

Thanks guys, the BR330T caught my attention, it would be nice to have most of the bands covered and have more channels spare to save frequencies. Although Im still leaning towards the BC346XT mil-air is not imperative but it would of been a nice extra. If uniden do make an update so it covers mil-air would it be possible to upgrade via a firmware update or would it be a physical mod of the scanner?

Eng74

The 330 was made for the wrong market. It is too much of a scanner for the normal race fan. I have used mine at the California Speedway and it works great. I was suprised how many teams use DCS and not CTCCS. It was my first dynamic memory scanner and it got me back to Uniden, I still like my GRE's too.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The military air band cannot be added via firmware update. The scanner does not have the requisite receive circuitry for that band.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Why not also look into a used 396T (there are lots on sale as people dump them to get the xt - if that suits your budget) and if there is any digital in your area.

For a while Iv been wanting to upgrade to a trunk tracking scanner as I live in Ames and most of whats in my area is Motorola Smartnet etc and Im sick of listening to part conversations.

Rich83

So with the BR330T I know this might be picky but is there a way to get rid of the crap Nascar logo on the front ?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Not unless you want to scrape it off or order another case front for a different model (not for the faint of heart). Besides, it really stands for National Association <of> Scanner Collectors And Radios. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.