Need to rework all jumpers at repeater site. What cable would be the best fit for my situation

vsp5151

Our amateur repeater site was constructed using left over cables because we had little money. It is not pretty. Yes we had connector issues over the years. We now want to update all the internal jumper cables. We have a 2M Quantro, 2M Quantar, 440 Quantar and a spare, GMRS repeater and a 220 repeater and associated duplexers. I would like to purchase a roll of small flexible cable and replace all the jumpers over a period of time. Most of the cables will be Type N male on each end but a few will need PL-259 connectors. I will also buy the tool to prep the cable along with the proper crimping tool. None of the cables will get wet. I don't want to use any adapters so I anticipate using right angle connectors. Again 1 type cable for everything. I have an account with TESSCO so I can use them as a supplier. All entrance cables come to a polyphaser in a water proof cabinet all my connections will start from there. I was a radio technician for 50 years but have been out of the business and am not familiar with the newer cable and connectors.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
Our amateur repeater site was constructed using left over cables because we had little money. It is not pretty. Yes we had connector issues over the years. We now want to update all the internal jumper cables. We have a 2M Quantro, 2M Quantar, 440 Quantar and a spare, GMRS repeater and a 220 repeater and associated duplexers. I would like to purchase a roll of small flexible cable and replace all the jumpers over a period of time. Most of the cables will be Type N male on each end but a few will need PL-259 connectors. I will also buy the tool to prep the cable along with the proper crimping tool. None of the cables will get wet. I don't want to use any adapters so I anticipate using right angle connectors. Again 1 type cable for everything. I have an account with TESSCO so I can use them as a supplier. All entrance cables come to a polyphaser in a water proof cabinet all my connections will start from there. I was a radio technician for 50 years but have been out of the business and am not familiar with the newer cable and connectors.
RG400 for or 3/8 hardline is probably a good start for your jumpers between filters and equipment in the rack. Possibly 1/2” hardline for longer runs between the poly phasers and duplexers.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I've always worried about long term the applicability of a .195" coax on the transmit side of a Quantar since the VHF/UHF models are rated at 125W. I'd probably go with something like a .240" diameter coax at a minimum.

If limiting to a single coax type, I'd run LMR-240-UF between the repeaters and filters. On combined antenna ports I would use the PIM rated variant. If not limiting, RG-214 on the transmit side, RG-179 for RX. Of course, you could go to 3/8" Superflex but unless you are really trying to ink every last dB of savings the price of the connectors is difficult to justify.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
RG-142 dual shield silver plated with teflon dielectric has been a standard for many duplexer mfrs and will handle more power than you can come up with. Silver plated or low PIM connectors are cheap and easy to install. However you can use lower loss but high PM coax like LMR400 on the non duplex paths like transmitter or receiver to duplexer and between filters on a non duplex path. The Times EZ series connectors are a dream to install using the Times prep tool.

jcop225

Radio Zoomer
How long is the run from your duplexers to your surge protection? If it is 10' or more I would start to question the wisdom of sticking with one type of cable.

RG-142 is a no-brainer for everything within the rack but I would want something corrugated from the duplexers to the SPDs if longer than a few feet to avoid the loss. You can usually find pre-made assemblies for standard lengths.

If you're insistent on a single cable type for everything, a 1/4" flexible corrugated cable like Commscope FSJ1-50 would be the best compromise.

I'd avoid any LMR, sure you can get away with it in certain places in a repeater system but it's not a good look especially if it is a shared site.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
How long is the run from your duplexers to your surge protection? If it is 10' or more I would start to question the wisdom of sticking with one type of cable.

RG-142 is a no-brainer for everything within the rack but I would want something corrugated from the duplexers to the SPDs if longer than a few feet to avoid the loss. You can usually find pre-made assemblies for standard lengths.

If you're insistent on a single cable type for everything, a 1/4" flexible corrugated cable like Commscope FSJ1-50 would be the best compromise.

I'd avoid any LMR, sure you can get away with it in certain places in a repeater system but it's not a good look especially if it is a shared site.
I would try and limit the length of RG-142 runs to about 4ft at VHF and 2ft at UHF. Same for RG-214. For longer runs between duplexer and lightning protection, etc, inside the building I like 1/2” Superflex Heliax jumpers. You can sometimes get those very cheap on eBay or ham swapmeets.

vsp5151

My shortest runs from surge protection to the duplexers 5 feet. Some radios in the next rack will be about 8 feet. 8 feet is the longest run. I had no plans to replace duplexer cables. Thanks for all the replies. There is a lot of good information there.