Need to update 20 yr old scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You can get the 436HP for $360 or less on Amazon if you watch the sales. And an analog only scanner is NOT an option in WV. All WV state agencies ore on the SIRN P25 system, as are most county and city agencies. In Martinsburg, the only agencies not on SIRN are a jail and the building inspectors. The city PD, schools, most public works, and all county police/fire/ems are on SIRN. It is convenient for scanning, because you can monitor SIRN and hear all city, county, and state public safety traffic on one system. If the OP's area isn't there yet, it is just a matter of time before everything migrates to SIRN.

Also, don't discount mobile scanning. It is a really good way to find out about road hazards as they happen. With the BCDx36HP scanners and a GPS, you can drive anywhere in the USA or Canada, and the scanner will stay tuned to local traffic as you go.

tacticaltrev

Everyone, wanted to post an update. Took the plunge and bought a new scanner. All the feedback was very helpful towards my reasoning for the purchase. I am the type that will over analyze everything, flip back and forth and never make a decision and buy anything.

I posted my "wants" list as N8IAA had reminded everyone, but two of those wants might have been a contradiction: No SD card and no heavy programming. Are those two wants a contradiction? Because, with a Uniden 436 or HP1/ HP2, using the zip code function can eliminate manual programming, right? Also, forgot my son has a PC laptop so that could be used for any updates/ programming.

Made a phone call and spoke to a guy at Scanner Master and he said something that turned on a light bulb: if I want to power on the scanner quickly to catch the fire whistle, just leave the unit on all day and turn the volume down if I don't want to bothered, then turn the volume up when the whistle sounds. Genius, that will work!

Lastly, I compromised on the belt clip option because the scanner will spend 95% of it's life on the coffee table. So if in the back yard, leaving the scanner on the deck is no big deal. If needed, a specialized case with belt clip can be purchased.

Anywho, I bought a Uniden HP1. The price, the P25 coverage for local EMS, and the touch display were the overwhelming factors for the decision. So far using the Sentinel software is very straight forward and running the scanner from a favorites list and only transmitting the local departments is sweet. Everything is coming in loud and clear, except for some mobile transmissions from the local sheriffs. Maybe an outside antenna or replace for the stock rubber ducky could help clear up some muffled mobile signals?

I feel like the HP1 could bridge the gap between the 20+ year old Uniden Bearcat scanner and the next scanner purchase like a more robust 436 or TRX-1 in a few years. Thanks again everyone, hopefully nobody will be hating for my decision!

Status
Not open for further replies.