need to upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

careydaniels

looking for a new scanner for the countys sign truck I have been using a BC200 about 13 years ben the best scanner i bought But fremont county is using the new 700 What scanner would work in my case

captclint

Mentor
looking for a new scanner for the countys sign truck I have been using a BC200 about 13 years ben the best scanner i bought But fremont county is using the new 700 What scanner would work in my case
Welcome to RR. There are at least 3 Fremont counties in the US, so please go to the USER CP link above, and edit your details to show your state and/or City. Once we know where you are, we can probably advise you. Not sure what you mean by "sign truck", but probably will need a base/mobile set.

Since you say it is "700", I am guessing it is Eastern Idaho Cooperative Agencies Wireless Interoperable Network or Idaho Cooperative Agencies Wireless Interoperable Network If so,this is digital, There are really only 2 choices and 4 radios(1 HH & 1 Base/mobile for each company) :GRE Radios and Uniden Scanners . Radio Shack is customer unfriendly, and very slow to incorporate firmware fixes and improvements. Uniden and GRE make radios for them, and the are both good about firmware updates, but RS delays firmware updates from both. GRE is the most aggressive and slightly better on customer relations. Also see: Digital Scanner Comparison Chart - The RadioReference Wiki. Unforunately, the price is about the same for each: Approx $500.

The basic considerations are as follows:

1. GRE is more sensitive(gets weaker signals), but that very feature makes them prone to overload if in the city or near any type of radio/TV/cell towers. Previously, GRE was better with digital, but I think that difference has been minimized with the latest firmware from Uniden...see how important firmware can be.
  2. Uniden does not overload as much (hence is not as sensitive), and generally has more features, which you will probably appreciate once you are familiar. For example, they skip over encrypted communications, while GRE just hangs on them producing annoying noise. Also has GPS system control (limited value for a Base unit), Channel Number Tagging -- lets you quickly select a channel like bank scanners, temporary lock-out, and Fire Tone outs (limited value IMHO)
  3. You really need software to program and better understand a digital radio. There is an excellent program for Unidens that is free: FreeScan. GRE typically costs $30-$40

You will find diehards in either camp, but I think they all generally agree on the points above, so you need to decide if you are far enough from the radio signals to justify a GRE.

Last edited:

careydaniels

Repling to my 1st thread

FREMONT COUNTY Idaho all the upper valley countys are starting to use the 700meg I have ben looking to buy a new digatal scanner but trying to find what will work RADIO SHACK cannot tell me much about it. GOing online I have alot more INFO IF Ispend 500 Bucks on a reciver i want to know more about it And the new system i am try listen to . may need a UHF & VHF Plus Digtal What do you all think Thanks carey

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You should ask questions about Fremont county in the Idaho forum - however if you need 700 mhz and digital, there are a few scanners that can do it; the Uniden 396T and 396XT, the Uniden BC996T and 996XT, the RS Pro-106 and 197, and the GRE PSR500 and 600

You can read all about them by clicking on the model numbers in this listing (all links are in blue)

Category:Digital Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

These scanners use a totally different programming scheme than has been used in the past. The Unidens use DMA or Dynamic Memory Addressing...

Uniden DMA FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

while the RS and GRE models use Object Oriented Programming...

GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanners FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

73 (best regards) Mike

captclint

Mentor
IF Ispend 500 Bucks on a reciver i want to know more about it And the new system i am try listen to . may need a UHF & VHF Plus Digtal What do you all think Thanks carey
All digital scanners mentioned will do UHF & VHF as well as digital. In fact, they will do just about everything you will need. Your experience at Rat Shack is exactly why I don't recommend them.

Status
Not open for further replies.