Need upgrade suggestions and programming help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shburchill

Looking to get possibly a handheld or desktop scanner. With a desktop I'll probably get little more for the the money.
Anyhow, I'm in Nova Scotia Canada and know some police have changed.
Man, I'd like get Police, Ambulance, Canadian Tire, Wal-Mart so anything and everything. I have a little NASCAR scanner and get like one dispatch fire department, lol.
Looking to spend around 300 to 400 for scanner desktop or handheld max. Maybe I'd save little more and I'd go 500 Canadian.
Thanks Scott.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
Scott,

To listen to EHS and Fire you'd need a scanner capable of 700 MHz and P25 Phase 1, which most new scanners (and some older models) will do just fine. Most departments use TMR for communications with the exception of paging/dispatching which still takes place on local VHF repeaters. 99% of police are encrypted so that's out the window.

As for retail, no idea what they use. I thought Walmart used MotoTRBO with privacy (encryption) enabled so that is also out the window. Someone more familiar with retail can chime in here.

I'd take a look at the Nova Scotia database for your county and see what interests you, what frequency range your looking to scan, ect.

Last edited:

wadenbc

Premium Subscriber
May I recommend a Uniden BCD996P2 Scott? It is a mobile scanner, but works well in the home as a base as well. Comes with a plug for both the vehicle and the home.
After you pick up the scanner, you'll need to purchase and download the software at about 35 bucks. Once you have the software, you just load in the frequencies for the area that is of interest to you by connecting it to the computer and voila!
Price for the scanner is about 550 delivered to the door via Amazon. If you're lucky, you may be able to find a used one, but they are scarce as hen's teeth.
Good luck!

Looking to get possibly a handheld or desktop scanner. With a desktop I'll probably get little more for the the money.
May I recommend a Uniden BCD996P2 Scott?
I second the recommendation for the 996 P2.

or its handheld brother, the 325P2.

For software, you can use FREEScan to program either scanner.

It's FREE!

Good luck!

ve1sef

A 996p2 or 325p2 either one would work okay in NS. As for DMR users there's 3 or 4 commercial systems. The Hfx-Dart. Bridge system being rather active. The airport has a DMR system but 98% of talk groups are encrypted, none of the emergency service can be monitored. Outside of
the city what DMR Public Safety systems there are use encryption. Also the DMR feature in the newer Uniden's is an upgrade you have to pay for.
So unless DMR is a must have in your scanning, you can make due with a good second hand scanner, like a 996xt.

A 996P2 is basically an upgraded 996XT. You'll be happy with either one.

Last edited by a moderator:

hfxChris

Database Admin
Man, I'd like get Police, Ambulance, Canadian Tire, Wal-Mart so anything and everything. I have a little NASCAR scanner and get like one dispatch fire department, lol.
Depending on where you are, you may not hear police. All RCMP is encrypted, as well as Halifax Regional and Cape Breton Regional. Some of the smaller municipal police forces are not encrypted, like Truro or Bridgewater, if you live in one of those areas.

By the way, speaking of ambulance, I've been noticing a huge number (80+) of encrypted EHS talkgroups come on the air over the last few weeks. I'll let you guys come to your own conclusions...

I have a chance to pick up a BCD996T second hand for 300. Seem like good deal?
Would this cover everything that basically can be got in Nova Scotia? I just want a busy scanner. Years ago granddad had one for fishing, non stop lol.
BCD996T doesn't have the DMR MotoTRBO or whatever they call it.
What would I get if had this option? I also see can hook GPS to it. Only concern taking it camping is could it be hooked up to an external battery inverter or something?
Thanks
Where are you located? What county or town?

Shburchill

I have a chance to pick up a BCD996T second hand for 300. Seem like good deal?
Would this cover everything that basically can be got in Nova Scotia? I just want a busy scanner. Years ago granddad had one for fishing, non stop lol.
BCD996T doesn't have the DMR MotoTRBO or whatever they call it.
What would I get if had this option? I also see can hook GPS to it. Only concern taking it camping is could it be hooked up to an external battery inverter or something?
Thanks

Shburchill

Where are you located? What county or town?
Hey I'm in Halifax near Kearney Lake. Picked up second hand BCD996XT. This far I've just been able get FM stations lol this about it. Need figure how program or is it possible scan through every frequencies?

Anyone in Halifax area that can program?

Last edited by a moderator:

wadenbc

Premium Subscriber
I think the BCD996XT will only be able to get the rural fire stations in your area. As just about everyone has switched to digital Phase One, including ANS and HFD, you'll need a scanner that has those capabilities like the BCD996P2, as I advised above. Good luck!

Shburchill

Picked up its older brother BCD996XT. Ass erased everything. Don't have the correct cable because I have a MAC and no idea what to get and how to program. So have a scanner with some FM stations lol.

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
Do you have a friend with a Windows PC and did your scanner come with the cable or do you have to buy one?

Shburchill

Well, I actually have had some success. I've got a cable and was able get connected to computer and get something. However, downloaded a .csv file from here then uploaded. It's a bit of a mess and I don't think everthing is on the scanner I can get.

So, the guy I bought it from mentioned that there might be a programmer here that could get a .csv file from who is in my area of Nova Scotia. Is it possible that this scanner BCD996XT can get signals from Antigonish?

Getting some Natural Resource coming up from there. Anyhow, I'm sure lots fellas have all set up perfectly, but I shall play around. I see Natural Resources up again saying Charlottetown. Is this possible? I just have regular antenna on it.

ve1sef

If you have programming software with your premium membership, you should be able to download what you want to listen to from the database and enter it into the scanner.

As for listening to Antigonish or Charlottetown from Halifax, scanners are like any other radio, there are limitations.

Shburchill

Yea, I have a lot stuff coming in, but not sure where and who all coming from. A lot is from Geizers Hill.
Gonna search forums sounds like it's EHS provincewide so can.t realy name individual calls to individual place as it's one tower.
I'm assuming I'm receiving all the signals from around the province. Can one listen to repeaters? I'm assuming repeaters are just relaying signals!

Brownjv14

Owner of Halifax County Public Safety
Feed Provider
Hey I'm in Halifax near Kearney Lake. Picked up second hand BCD996XT. This far I've just been able get FM stations lol this about it. Need figure how program or is it possible scan through every frequencies?

Anyone in Halifax area that can program?
The BCD996XT is capable of picking up digital P25 unencrypted frequencies and talkgroups according to this website BCD996XT

I live in this area if you are in need of looking to get it programmed if you have not already. Geizers Hill is the primary tower that you will most likely get on the scanner if you are in the Kearney Lake area.

Status
Not open for further replies.