BCD396T/BC996T: Need usb to scanner cable info/help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dss56

I was able to pickup a BCD396T with the serial port cable and the usb to scanner cable. I am assuming the usb cable is from uniden.

So I tried just the usb the scanner cable and will not work on my laptop or desktop pc will not work on both.

The usb to scanner cable seems to have a module in line, its not a straight usb cablw

So I tried the serial port cable to a usb serial adapter that I had and works.

So my real problem is the usb to scanner will not work at all. I tried in freescan the bearcat program and also the uniden BCD396T program just for that scanner I get serial port not found.
I installed the PL-2303 driver and still nothing.

Am I missing something, is the uniden usb to scanner cable have different drivers?
Has anyone got this cable to work.

I have windows 7 32bit in laptop.

Like I said the serial to scanner and the serial port adabter to usb will work on all 3 programs.

thanks for any help

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
You need to use the Device Manager and look at the Com port settings to find out what port the cable is using. Then make sure the software is using that port. I have a 396T and have both types of cables and both work provided you get the correct ports. I use Windows 7 professional. I've had mixed results with Windows 10 on another machine.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
converter

I was able to pickup a BCD396T with the serial port cable and the usb to scanner cable. I am assuming the usb cable is from uniden.

So I tried just the usb the scanner cable and will not work on my laptop or desktop pc will not work on both.

The usb to scanner cable seems to have a module in line, its not a straight usb cablw

So I tried the serial port cable to a usb serial adapter that I had and works.

So my real problem is the usb to scanner will not work at all. I tried in freescan the bearcat program and also the uniden BCD396T program just for that scanner I get serial port not found.
I installed the PL-2303 driver and still nothing.

Am I missing something, is the uniden usb to scanner cable have different drivers?
Has anyone got this cable to work.

I have windows 7 32bit in laptop.

Like I said the serial to scanner and the serial port adabter to usb will work on all 3 programs.

thanks for any help

:lol: I have a 396t scanner also and started to run into problems with finding the right driver that would work, so I went to usconverters and bought one of there converters. I plunged it in and it sets it self up and installs, no problem, I have used this converter with several scanners and shortwave radios and have never had a problem.. I use the USB Serial Adapter - Ultimate
Steve
USB to Serial Adapter | USB to RS232 - Large selection From U. S. Converters

dss56

I have the serial to USB works good. My problem is I have the uniden USB to scanner
Cable that came with scanner and can't get that to work. It's no big deal but would
Like to know why when I plug into my laptop or desktop it says driver not installed
Device manager shows no port being used because cable not recognized

dss56

Anyone know what chip is in the uniden USB to scanner cable and what drivers
Worked for you. This cable is not a straight USB cable it has an inline module I suspect
Has maybe the pl2303 but can't tell

dss56

I'll try the driver you posted but I already tried earlier today and same thing
I get driver not installed when I plug the USB end in. If I plug in the USB to serial
Cable it says drivers installed. Maybe the USB to scanner cable is bad. I will delete
Installed drivers and reload what you listed and try again. I guess it's a principle
Thing now for me to get the cable to work

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I'll try the driver you posted but I already tried earlier today and same thing
I get driver not installed when I plug the USB end in. If I plug in the USB to serial
Cable it says drivers installed. Maybe the USB to scanner cable is bad. I will delete
Installed drivers and reload what you listed and try again. I guess it's a principle
Thing now for me to get the cable to work

Are you sure it's actually the Uniden "USB-1" cable that you have?

dss56

I got the scanner used and it came in box with the serial to scanner cable
and USB to scanner. No markings on cable. So I can't say it's a uniden USB
Cable

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
There is a chip in the cable which causes the USB cable to think it is a serial cable. Originally these were the HXA chipset. However beginning with Windows 8 an HXD (later model) chipset is needed.

A couple of options. One is to get a Uniden USB-1 cable Uniden USB-1 Programming Cable (BC246/396/330/230/95/996/15/XT) or you can get a USB to Serial Port sdapter. https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Adapter-Prolific-PL2303HX-Chipset/dp/B00425S1H8

Whichever option you choose, be sure to download and install the cable's drivers BEFORE you connect the cable for the first time. Otherwise you'll have a headache uninstalling the wrong drivers and installing the right one.

dss56

I found out the usb to scanner cable is a uniden usb-1 cable. Just cant get it to work on windows 7 in laptop and desktop.

I tried all the latest prolific drivers and keeps saying driver not recognized when i plug cable in.

the serial cable usb adapter works good on both computers. Just cant get the usb-1 cable to work with the latest drivers.

Any suggestions? thanks

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If your serial to USB adapter is working, you might wonder if the USB-1 is bad. I'm thinking (and could be wrong), the Prolific chipset might be used in both your serial to USB and the USB-1 cable. Thus it would be the same driver.

dss56

I did mention in one of my replies that I suspect the usb-1 cable might be bad.
I wish there was a way to check out to see if it is bad.
The usb-1 cable not working on both computers and as you mentioned the serial usb adapter works in both computers leads to most likely the cable being bad.

I guess I will try to locate another usb-1 in time as I do have a working cable.

thanks Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.