need WV info

Status
Not open for further replies.

dren

Feed Provider
Hopefully some of you guys can help me. My family is going to spend a week in WV during the first week in October. We're looking for things to do during that week. We're going to check out the Cass railroad and a couple things here and there. My kids are ages 6 and 3. If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. I can only go hiking for so long.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
If you'll be around Cass, you'll be in what is undoubtedly the most interesting part of the State, at least from a naturalist's point of view. Cass, Durbin and Greenbrier Valley Railroad, Snowshoe, the NRAO, Cranberry, a zillion parks and forests, lots of hiking, camping, the best trout fishing in the east. Eight important rivers start in Pocahontas County, and the geological and biological diversity is as great there as anywhere in the country (Cranberry Glades is especially worth the visit). Check out http://www.wvdnr.gov/ and 1800CALLWVA for some free info, too.

Vern

Premium Subscriber
We liked the Green Bank Observatory

We did one of the Cass Scenic tours a few summers ago and enjoyed it a lot. While at Cass we saw a brochure for the Green Bank Observatory (radiotelescopes) which is a short drive from Cass. We had plenty of time that afternoon and drove over to check it out and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Here's a link to their site:
http://www.gb.nrao.edu/epo/gp/

We were there in early June and the staff must have been bored because my wife and I and one other couple were the only visitors on site at the time and they treated us like VIP's. They have a nice presentation in a small auditorium and then took us in a mini-bus for a trip around the facility. It's a little unusual, especially for very young kids, but it's not something you'll find in very many places.

Enjoy WV...we go up almost every summer or fall.

\V/ern

Last edited:

dren

Feed Provider
Thanks for all the info. We've scoped out most of the suggestions and we're going to try and incorporate them into our trip. Feel free to list any other places you may think of.

ems133

check out our county's tourism page at www.pocahontascountywv.com

If you bring your scanner here are the most common freqs:
155.970 Law Enforcement
155.295 EMS/Fire
158.910 Law Enforcement - Car to car

The train runs on 31.24 and 31.66

Snowshoe Resort is just a short drive away, and they primarily run on 154.515. You can check out their website at www.snowshoemtn.com

Status
Not open for further replies.