Need XP PRO

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack103

Premium Subscriber
I have come across a Toughbook CF-29 that needs to be set up with XP PRO so I can use it to program various scanners that require a serial port. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to purchase this platform since MS no longer supports this OS? For
Some reason the person I acquired this from loaded XP Home and messed up the download.
Thanks for any help or directions

CapStar362

being the updates dont even feed anymore, if you get a XP Pro SP3 disc, your going to be running initial release SP3....... there are what.. 300+ updates?

only thing i can think of to get XP Sp3 Final.... is to find someone with a slipstream to final updates ISO...

im hearing that starting Nov. 12 2014, Activation servers will be re-purposed and you wont even be able to activate XP anymore.

looking at the specs of the CF-29, max mem is 768? thats a odd number for even a laptop board, but anyways...

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
Best advice is to buy windows 7, I have a CF30 mk3 and it runs Win7pro, 32 bit with no issues. All of the radio programs work because of the backwards compatibility. Either that to look for the Toughbook recovery DVD

CapStar362

thunder, the CF-29 holds a MAX of 768MB DDR1 of RAM.. your CF-30 MK3 holds a MAX of 4GB RAM of DDR2..... HUGE gap there. that CPU for the CF29 and that low amount of MAX RAM, he wouldn't get 7 to work effectively.... soon as he gets in 7, loads up some programs.... RAM = Gone

now its dumping into pagefile.... 100x slower than RAM, usually results in lockup or if not very very slow performance.

jack send me a PM, or ill do the reverse

CapStar362

so you get the updates up to XP Final, just nothing "new" ? ive done a few installs after EOL and it refused to run XP Updates at all! and these are activated by MS Copies. . .

that led me to believe they dumped the updates.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
OEM versions of Windows XP Pro CD's are available on eBay for a very reasonable cost. Detailed instructions on how to bypass the activation process are available on the internet, if Microsoft's activation servers get shut down. If the computer is used for programming, and never sees the internet itself, there is no need to worry about security updates.

Continuing use of XP is not nearly the problem that it's made out to be.

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
so you get the updates up to XP Final, just nothing "new" ? ive done a few installs after EOL and it refused to run XP Updates at all! and these are activated by MS Copies. . .

that led me to believe they dumped the updates.

Hmmm, now I'll have to check on Monday, I did a clean install 2 weeks ago and had no problems. I've also had a few clients PC's that I've worked on that (no surprise) needed updates installed and they downloaded with no issues.

reconrider8

best bet would be to grab a torrent of sp3 final with an activator then that would solve all your issues if it doesnt work no money lost on the out of date software

CapStar362

UN-believable...

jack103 asks in PLAIN ENGLISH for a LEGIT copy of XP Pro SP3 and this gets replied:

OEM versions of Windows XP Pro CD's are available on eBay for a very reasonable cost. Detailed instructions on how to bypass the activation process are available on the internet, if Microsoft's activation servers get shut down..

best bet would be to grab a torrent of sp3 final with an activator

please explain to me how bypassing activation is "legit"?

reconrider8

it was just an option instead of spending money on something thats pretty much dead. being there's no support xp is pretty much extinct now

zz0468

QRT
Banned
UN-believable...

jack103 asks in PLAIN ENGLISH for a LEGIT copy of XP Pro SP3...

No he didn't. He asked where he could purchase Windows XP. The only mention of anything "legit" in this entire thread came from you. Please re-read the original post.

please explain to me how bypassing activation is "legit"?

First, please explain to me how this is pertinent to the OP's request. :roll:

NHdave

Premium Subscriber
it was just an option instead of spending money on something thats pretty much dead. being there's no support xp is pretty much extinct now

That doesn't make it right to steal it. Suggesting someone commit software piracy is pretty poor advise.

Just because support is dropped doesn't make a piece of software automatically public domain.

CapStar362

Thank you dave...... and

oh is it? dead huh? want to tell me how almost 75% of P.O.S. registers and 100% main stream ATM's use XP Still?

or how about that MS does in fact still support business and corporate updates? only those such as above get updates for critical security issues? its only the consumers that don't get any new updates.

First, please explain to me how this is pertinent to the OP's request. :roll:

its pertinent because he is GOING to have to activate it to use it, will he not?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
...its pertinent because he is GOING to have to activate it to use it, will he not?

The OP asked where he could buy XP. There was then a discussion about activation. I told him where he could buy it, and how he could activate it.

You then came down on me because you said the OP wanted a "legit" copy of XP, which he did not so state. Therefore, your comments to me are impertinent to my contribution to the discussion.

I am making no judgement as to any improprieties of using XP today. He asked a question, I answered it. Today is not my turn to be a software cop for Bill Gates. It's apparently your turn. Have fun. :roll:

CapStar362

like Dave said, advising someone to illegally "activate" software..... what happens when they run the Genuine Check? drop the Illegal notice on his copy..... now he has to reinstall and redo everything.... not fun for taking a "Shortcut" to activating by means of cracks and "activators"

not being a cop, just being a honest tech. helping avoiding a aggravating situation.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I think the OP has gotten plenty of advice. No need for the peanut gallery to continue commenting.

Status
Not open for further replies.