needing help with shp while traveling

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazz098

Premium Subscriber
HEY I will be traveling threw the state in about two week and I want to know what freq are the shp on I will be come into the state on 85 all the way up to Burlington nc thanks for your help

Drafin

Well it's not quite as simple as "what frequency" they are. Most of NCSHP is now on a statewide system called VIPER. Having just switched over to P25, the new talk groups are being mapped out now by users here on radioreference.com.

Basically you would have to sit down with a map or google maps and figure your planned travel route. Then look in the database and enter in towers that you would be coming in range of. At that point you would have to check the troop map and see what troops you would travel through and then enter in the appropriate TGIDs for those troops. It really sounds more difficult that it would be to accomplish this. It would also probably be beneficial to put in the 42.XX frequencies as well, just for the sake of thoroughness.

All of this assumes the fact that you have a digital scanner. If you do not, then you would not be able to receive anything from the VIPER system.

Hope this helps just a little, sorry there is not a simple , "monitor NCSH on XXX.XXXXmhz", answer.
Draf

WA4MJF

Well, you could monitor the low band. I know that Troop C simulcasts the Station VIPER calls on the station to car frequency.
Or, perhaps, the station to car on VIPER, not sure which way it goes.

There should be a list of the low band freqs in the data base.

Ronnie

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Ronnie: The Lowband frequencies only transmit the Dispatcher to the Car. That is only half of the transmission. The days of Lowband being useful as a monitoring target have long passed.
Drafin is correct: You need a digital capable trunking scanner to be able to monitor the SHP these days. That is the correct answer.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Well, you could monitor the low band. I know that Troop C simulcasts the Station VIPER calls on the station to car frequency.
Or, perhaps, the station to car on VIPER, not sure which way it goes.

There should be a list of the low band freqs in the data base.

Ronnie

jazz098

Premium Subscriber
Ok i have a pro106 so i will give it a try thanks again for your help IT LOOKS LIKE IM GOING IN AREA TROOP H TROOP E AND TROOP D

WA4MJF

Ronnie: The Low band frequencies only transmit the Dispatcher to the Car. That is only half of the transmission. The days of Low band being useful as a monitoring target have long passed.
Drafin is correct: You need a digital capable trunking scanner to be able to monitor the SHP these days. That is the correct answer.
Marshall KE4ZNR

I think that is what I said, only I called it station to car. You can hear any crashes
or other emergencies on the low band, so as to adjust your route. I guess that
is why a traveler would listen.

Ronnie

Flyham

Ronnie: The Lowband frequencies only transmit the Dispatcher to the Car. That is only half of the transmission. The days of Lowband being useful as a monitoring target have long passed.
Marshall KE4ZNR

If the powers that be would approve, especially now that most every comm center is running some instances of Moto 5000 / 7000 series consoles, then those simulcasted low band and viper tgs could be patched for both station to car and car to station low band traffic. Not that there's a lot of life left in low band.

Just dropping my 0.2 cents worth.

NwJ

joncleve

Premium Subscriber

I wish that were true in all Troops/Districts. In my area, the H4 (Cleveland) cars use Viper almost exclusively while the next county over (Gaston) is the reverse. They use low-band to communicate with dispatch 90% of the time.

jthorpe

Marshall KE4ZNR

Agreed. Especially since the dispatchers barely transmit on it anymore in certain locations. A lot of times they don't even select it.

jthorpe

If the powers that be would approve, especially now that most every comm center is running some instances of Moto 5000 / 7000 series consoles, then those simulcasted low band and viper tgs could be patched for both station to car and car to station low band traffic. Not that there's a lot of life left in low band.

Just dropping my 0.2 cents worth.

NwJ

The capability is there, and it has done before. The problem is that is causes a horrible echo in our cars when they do that.

jthorpe

I wish that were true in all Troops/Districts. In my area, the H4 (Cleveland) cars use Viper almost exclusively while the next county over (Gaston) is the reverse. They use low-band to communicate with dispatch 90% of the time.

As they continue to build out, I'm sure that is what you'll see. It's coming. Only a matter of time.

CCHLLM

And for what it's worth, the word is that there's no low band simulcast at all in Troop A. After several trips through that area with the good old low band MaraTrac in scan mode, and nothing heard outside of some adjacent troop traffic and a rare car-to-car simplex or two, I'd say the word is correct.

Last edited:

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
From what I can gather here in Ashe County, the SHP (Troop F) still broadcast base to mobile on low band 42.600.

WA4MJF

And for what it's worth, the word is that there's no low band simulcast at all in Troop A. After several trips through that area with the good old low band MaraTrac in scan mode, and nothing heard outside of some adjacent troop traffic and a rare car-to-car simplex or two, I'd say the word is correct.

A Troop radio is no more. I heard that when they closed the troop radio station the 3 KW low band
transmitter was turned off. Kept running for years on bailing wire and parts that were scrounged world wide,
including Red China. For those that don't know, had it ever quit, the FCC would not re-license
another 3 KW station there. 300 watts I think was the most that they could have gotten.

Ronnie

jazz098

Premium Subscriber
I want to say thanks for all the help coming to nc I heard a lot of highway patrol traffic
that pro 106 did its job

Status
Not open for further replies.