Neeed help confirming I have Monroe County MI freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

K40Kid

I am not sure if I have the Monroe County Sheriff's department tuned into my scanner. Anyone from Monroe County Michigan out there to help me confirm this.

paulmohr

There are few things from monroe that are conventional, but most of it is trunked. Conventional is pretty much fire dispatch, which also broadcast on on the mpscs system, some EMS stuff and sheriff tactical channels. Any of the local villages like dundee and stuff the only thing on conventional channels is the water departments for the most part, no police or fire.

I live in adrian and I can get monroe county sheriff, fire and EMS because I live close to the Adrian MPSCS tower. Where exactly do you live in MI? If you out of range of any of the trunking site towers you are pretty much screwed. I live about 25 miles from Monroe and I have tried like crazy to grab their tower and I can't. I can get some of the frequencies, but not the control channel which is what I need. Whoever designed these 800 mhz systems and their range was VERY good at their job. If you don't live within the specified range for that system you can forget it. The signal strength drops off very fast.

So first you have to have a scanner capable of using the system (P25 phase I), live within range of tower, and have the proper control channel programmed.

So let us know what kind of scanner you have, where you live, and the frequencies you have entered and we can go from there. Monroe county sheriff is pretty active, so if you could pick it up you would probably know. You could also stop into herkimer radio on telegraph rd., they might be able to help you. That is where I bought my scanner. I would be happy to try and help you though if you give me the info I listed.

K40Kid

I am currently listening to live Monroe County Sheriff, Monroe City Police, Fire and EMS Dispatch on the Live Audio tab here on Radio Reference page. I am trying to grasp the conversations because there is a lapse of about 15 seconds on the live page and my scanner, a Uniden 436HP. As for my location I am in the southwest corner of Ida Township using my 436 hand held. I did grab a new antenna, a 800 MHz from Radio Shack that did help with reception.
I am new to the scanner and started by typing in my zip code to start. I was frustrated because of the large amount of channels I had to delete to get to where I am at.
My goal is to set up MC, LC and Lucas county as favorites so as I move from county to county I can listen in, or I hope to be able to do that.
My goal is MC Sheriffs dept. and Fire tack channels as I have an old fire radio but when they go to emergency channels for a particular incident I will be able to listen in.
If you don't think I can reach my goal let me know. But so far I am hearing the same on the "Live" page on the computer as I am hearing on my scanner.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you have a 436, all of that stuff is alreadhy programmed into the main database. All you need to do is accurately inform the scanner where it is located. Set your Range setting to no more than 5 miles, or you will scan a lot of out-of-range clutter. Range is reset to 20 miles when you enter a ZIP code, so you need to re-enter it if you enter a ZIP code.

If you are traveling with the scanner, then you really need to use GPS to keep the scanner's location up to date. It's far more convenient than constantly typing in ZIP codes and then resetting the Range parameter.

K40Kid

LOL, I have yet to find that range setting so you can guess how much I had to weed out. I even found Mounted Canadian Police in there. It is a learning experience for sure.

paulmohr

So like yeagerville area? Plenty in range at any rate. Monroes multicast range runs all the way into Sylvania so not an issue for you at all.

And yes, when listening to one of the feeds there is a delay. It can be kind of disorienting at times. Also keep in mind if you are listening to a feed they may get some stuff you don't, miss some stuff you pick up. It varies by scanner, location, number of channels you scan and just shear luck and timing. It is not uncommon for someone to have to scanners of the same model with the same programming and have one miss calls the other picks up. Scanning is kind of a random act by nature. And the more channels you scan the larger the odds get of you hitting that one channel at the exact right time. This is why people that are serious about scanning, or stream own multiple scanners. You hear a lot more with multiple scanners scanning specific areas or frequencies than you with one trying to scan them all. Unfortunately for some of us, owning one 3 or 4 hundred dollar scanner is either all you can afford or hard to justify. Let alone a whole freakin bank of them with antennas and hardware to connect them all. I have seen some these guys set ups and estimate the rough cost based on my shopping around for one. Some of them have enough invested that you could buy a snowmobile, atv, motorcycle, hot tub, a couple nice hunting rifles or a nice used car. It all depends on what you want more I guess. Or justifying it with your other half if you are married. Or build up your collection over a period of several years maybe, which is what I would guess most do.

I basically do what you are wanting to do at times. I own a 325p2 though, so no built in database. Instead I have a separate database I can upload if I am going to go for a drive out of town. It has Lenawee, Monroe, Wayne, Washtenaw, Lucal, Fulton and Henry counties programmed in. Each on its own system with a quick key assigned. It is very easy for me to just reach over and hit a button to toggle them on and off as I drive through different areas. There is about 1100 channels in that database and it only uses about 3 percent of my scanners memory. Not sure how that would work on a 436 since I don't own one, but the dynamic memory system must be fairly similar I would think.

Most of lenawee police and fire is still analog, so you could pick that up from your house if you had a good antenna. Heck you might get it with the stock one. You won't get Tecumseh or Adrian police though, they are not very strong. You would probably need an outside antenna for those. But the sheriff has a pretty strong signal. I can pick it up with my stock antenna all the way out to central ave on highway 23 in ohio. They do have one channel in the trunked system, the lenawee 911 dispatch is both analog and trunked. It sounds like crap on the digital system though. The analog channels are much more sharp and clear.

From what I understand the 436 has a favorites section in it. So it might be an idea to use the software to program exactly what you want to listen to into some favorite sections. Don't ask me how though, I don't have that scanner so I have no clue exactly how that works. I am sure there some videos on how to do it though.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
My goal is to set up MC, LC and Lucas county as favorites so as I move from county to county I can listen in, or I hope to be able to do that.

Lucas is in Ohio, so is on MARCS. That will need to be selected separately. (I have never done anything with that system, so I have no details.)

My goal is MC Sheriffs dept. and Fire tack channels as I have an old fire radio but when they go to emergency channels for a particular incident I will be able to listen in.

The Emer talkgroups used for many things, including fire incidents. They are assigned as needed/requested. Using a quick key for them could be useful.

Sent via Tapatalk

paulmohr

Oh, another thing I found out about when they switch to another channel like the Fire Tac channels is you probably will not get them. At least in Lenawee, every time I hear them say "switch to Tac3" or something I lose them. From the sounds of it when they do that they are using radio to radio mobile units with very limited range. So unless you are at the scene or very close to it you won't pick it up.

And yes, northwest Ohio actually has two trunked systems. Northwest Ohio Regional Public Safety System and MARCS. Almost all of the fire and law is on the NORPS system and the Ohio State Patrol is on the MARCS system. NORPS will cover from Toledo to Wauseon, and most of Henry county is analog. I was just in Swanton today doing a test for someone else. With my 325p2 and the stock little antenna I can get toledo, maumee, sylvania, swanton, delta and wauseon. This includes Lucas, wood and fulton county sheriffs and most local fire and PD's in that area.

The odd thing, Evergreen ohio is a dead spot, can't pick up nothing lol. I didn't start picking anything up again until I hit yankee road in MI.

Status
Not open for further replies.