neeed help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Well, that's a rather general question. The short answer is you'll program the scanner via computer. The longer answer is you'll need a suitable programming cable (normally supplied with the scanner if bought new) and appropriate added-cost software such as Butel ARC500, Win500, or PSRedit500. For more info, see here: https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Object_Oriented_Scanner_Software. Using your choice of software, you'll be downloading the frequencies or systems of interest from RadioReference, and then uploading to the WS1040. That's it in a nutshell.

Oh, and welcome to RadioReference!

bob550

Premium Subscriber
There's a wealth of information on the programming and operation of the WS1040 here: Easier to Read Pro-651/652/106/197 - WS1040/1065 - PSR 500/600 Digital Scanner Manual. I own the RadioShack PRO-651 which is the private-labeled version of the WS1040. I've found Win500 to be fairly user-friendly, although I've also used PSRedit500. I highly recommend you program the 1040 by computer, especially if you're dealing with more complex trunked P25 systems. There's much less margin for error, and you'll spend more time enjoying the scanner vs. programming it.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This article from our wiki (links are always in blue) has links to everything you will need. There is an Easier to Read manual for that radio *that bob just posted) linked at the bottom, as well as user guides for 2 of the 3 popular packages used to program it - ARC500 and Win500

https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Getting_Started_with_your_GRE/RS_Object_Oriented_Scanner

Note that the WS1040 = GRE's PSR-500 as shown in the article above. Thus anything written for the 500 will also work with the 1040

Mike

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
It is no longer possible to acquire a key for Win500. You will want to try one of the other 2 software mentioned if you want to go the software route.

Programming by hand is completely possible, but it will require you to read the manual and the linked Easier to Read manual to understand how to do it.

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
earlkeysjr - Whistler 1040 is an OLDER scanner from the Last Generation before going to EZ scan.
as such, the Scanner can use a PC software to download the Database from Radio Reference com.
but, its Quite Dated and a Little Clunky of an Interface.
Unfortunatly, 1040/1065 scanners cannot be upgraded to use EZ scan.
but, there are Multiple youtube video Showing how to program your 1040, sponsored by Whistler and ZIP Scanners.
however, you may want to sell your 1040 and get a Whistler 1080/1088 or 1098/1095 scanner , as they have SD card for Memory as well as EZ scan on the SD card, that you Download to PC. Best of All, they All do P25 Phase II and can get Legacy Upgrade from Whistler to receive DMR and use the TRX version of EZ Scan.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Re programming it by hand - recall that the 1040 is really a PSR500 in another box. The Getting Started article I linked to previously has just such an article, written for the PSR-500 but should completely work for the 1040....Mike

musson

I tried arc500 and psredit500. I like psredit500 much better. Also arc500 doesn't recognize some edits and lets you close the file without saving.

smoker11

Thanks to STEVE HE WAS SO HELPFUL....I'm NOW HAVE FREQS ready TO DOWNLOAD to SCANNER...BUT IT CAN'T FIND SCANNER WHEN I GET SCANNER READY ???

smoker11

HELP have WS1040, Downloaded from 500Predit....NEED HELP ENABLEING CHANNELS...JUST TELL ME WHAT TO DO PLEASE....DON'T TELL ME READ SOMETHING......I HAVE TURNED BLUE READING....THANKS...EVERYBODY

Status
Not open for further replies.