Neewbe needs help understanding LW, MW, SW, AM, FM, SSB USB LSB

Status
Not open for further replies.

humblegeo

Premium Subscriber
Just purchased a Tecsun PL-880 Radio (haven't received it yet) and trying to understand more about the frequency bands and what might be on them. Is there a good book or website or youtube video and maybe even radioreference files that might help me understand what might be found and listened to on the various frequency bands. Appreciate pointing me in the right direction.

• FM: 64-108 MHz, 87-108 MHz, 87.5-108 MHz (tuning step 10kHz or 100kHz)
  • MW (AM): 520-1710 kHz, 522-1620 kHz (tuning step 1kHz, 9kHz, or 10kHz)
  • LW: 100-519 kHz (tuning step 1kHz or 9kHz)
  • SW: 1711-29999 kHz (tuning step 1kHz or 5kHz)

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Check out OfficialSWLChannel on Youtube. I'll link his "shortwave for beginners" playlist here. Gilles gives pretty good in depth but easy to understand breakdowns of the different SW bands & has live shows every Wednesday and some Saturdays at 20:00 UTC where DXers ask questions and share what they're hearing all around the world. Definitely worth checking out.

These two bands are the common "car stereo AM & FM bands"
Also see dxing.com article on longwave (LW) here. Hope this helps

Last edited:

jwt873

Premium Subscriber

majoco

Stirrer
Answer the guys questions - not a load of gobbledegook.

VHF FM (frequency modulation) is a broadcast band and for you in the US it will be from 87.5 to 108 MHz - In most area the stations are allocated frequencies that are 100kHz apart so that they don't interfere with one another.

LW - long wave - one of the remains of early radio broadcasting, they found that with sufficient power and huge antennas you could send over huge distances with morse code (on-off keying of the transmitter) and later they found how to modulate the carrier with voice. Hugely expensive and now fading out all over the world. You may hear a couple of Europeans but extremely rare - more likely an aircraft beacon with a couple of morse characters for identification.

MW - medium wave, broadcast band, AM (amplitude modulation) - call it what you like, it's all the same. For many years the only short distance broadcast band available for local areas. Very crowded in the 30's onwards and prone to whistles and interference until the FM band took over in the 50's - now mainly just chat shows and sports. Can travel over a long distance at night - many people have great fun with special antennas to receive long distance signals.

SW - shortwave - many frequencies with many uses. I have attached my chart to show you how the frequencies are divided up. The broadcast bands will have stations from all over the world BUT you have to be aware of the time of day at your end and their end and the frequency in use. Roughly you can say that the middle of the day is probably the worst time to try receiving anything and on the high frequency bands. Favourite times to receive on the lower frequency bands is late afternoon through the night until dawn - but the transmitter has to be in darkness too. In your late afternoon you should hear stations from your east and in the early mornings from your west. My charts give you all the broadcast bands and what is often called "utility" stations. The utility stations on the aeronautical frequencies don't really have bands, just designated frequencies and they don't talk all the time - so it's best to find a frequency and sit on it. All aero frequencies are USB - upper sideband - but more of this later. Amateur bands you may notice are all sub-multiples except for some new bands - this was so that amateurs ("hams") could use simple home-made transmitters which were fixed at a single frequency and used the harmonics to cove the other bands. Methods of sending information on the ham bands range from simple morse code through amplitude modulation for voice and SSB - LSB below 9MHz and USB above - this was because when SSB was first developed for hams there was a ready supply of 9MHz filters and this produced LSB below and USB above. Marine broadcasting is more or less defunct now with the adoption of "GMDSS" in lieu of a radio operator on every ship along with all the apparatus - see here... https://gmdss.com - all almost all ship communications are done via satellites.

AM, FM, SSB, LSB, USB - all forms of transmitting information. The basic transmitter produces a "carrier" which it itself carries no information at all, it's when you "modulate" the carrier that the information is attached to it. The simplest form of modulation is to turn the carrier on and off in accordance with the "morse code" - every alphabetical character, number, punctuation and accented letter has be assigned a specific sequence of 'dots' and 'dashes' which can be made with a hand 'key' and resolved at the receiver by another operator and written down. It's main advantage is that the equipment can be very simple, the signal takes up very little space in spectrum, and it gets though interference very well.

Amplitude modulation is simply that - the carrier has the audio signal mixed with it which changes the amplitude and at the receiver the audio is recovered in a detector which strips out the carrier and leaves the audio for you to listen to. Frequency modulation does exactly that - the frequency of the carrier is changed up and down by the amplitude of the audio signal. A special 'discriminator" in the receiver detects the frequency variations and changes them into amplitude variations so we have received our audio information.

Now SSB gets complicated but I'll try to keep it simple. If you look at an AM signal from a time perspective, you can see the changes in amplitude but if you look at it from a frequency perspective you can see the carrier remains at a constant level but flanking the carrier are two "sidebands". The sidebands which contain the audio frequencies are added or subtracted from the carrier. Now because the carrier contains no information and the sidebands are identical but opposite we can eliminate the carrier and one sideband and still transmit the signal. at the receiver a new carrier is re-inserted to beat with the sideband and reproduce the original audio - the higher frequency sideband of course is called the upper sideband, USB, and the lower, LSB.

There are many other forms of modulation but far too complicated at this stage.

Hope you have wriggled your way through all this but you will get the hang of it the more you play with your radio - have fun!.

Attachments

• HF Bands A.pdf
    7.6 KB · Views: 73
  • HF Bands B.pdf
    7.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

humblegeo

Premium Subscriber
Answer the guys questions - not a load of gobbledegook.

VHF FM (frequency modulation) is a broadcast band and for you in the US it will be from 87.5 to 108 MHz - In most area the stations are allocated frequencies that are 100kHz apart so that they don't interfere with one another.

LW - long wave - one of the remains of early radio broadcasting, they found that with sufficient power and huge antennas you could send over huge distances with morse code (on-off keying of the transmitter) and later they found how to modulate the carrier with voice. Hugely expensive and now fading out all over the world. You may hear a couple of Europeans but extremely rare - more likely an aircraft beacon with a couple of morse characters for identification.

MW - medium wave, broadcast band, AM (amplitude modulation) - call it what you like, it's all the same. For many years the only short distance broadcast band available for local areas. Very crowded in the 30's onwards and prone to whistles and interference until the FM band took over in the 50's - now mainly just chat shows and sports. Can travel over a long distance at night - many people have great fun with special antennas to receive long distance signals.

SW - shortwave - many frequencies with many uses. I have attached my chart to show you how the frequencies are divided up. The broadcast bands will have stations from all over the world BUT you have to be aware of the time of day at your end and their end and the frequency in use. Roughly you can say that the middle of the day is probably the worst time to try receiving anything and on the high frequency bands. Favourite times to receive on the lower frequency bands is late afternoon through the night until dawn - but the transmitter has to be in darkness too. In your late afternoon you should hear stations from your east and in the early mornings from your west. My charts give you all the broadcast bands and what is often called "utility" stations. The utility stations on the aeronautical frequencies don't really have bands, just designated frequencies and they don't talk all the time - so it's best to find a frequency and sit on it. All aero frequencies are USB - upper sideband - but more of this later. Amateur bands you may notice are all sub-multiples except for some new bands - this was so that amateurs ("hams") could use simple home-made transmitters which were fixed at a single frequency and used the harmonics to cove the other bands. Methods of sending information on the ham bands range from simple morse code through amplitude modulation for voice and SSB - LSB below 9MHz and USB above - this was because when SSB was first developed for hams there was a ready supply of 9MHz filters and this produced LSB below and USB above. Marine broadcasting is more or less defunct now with the adoption of "GMDSS" in lieu of a radio operator on every ship along with all the apparatus - see here... https://gmdss.com - all almost all ship communications are done via satellites.

AM, FM, SSB, LSB, USB - all forms of transmitting information. The basic transmitter produces a "carrier" which it itself carries no information at all, it's when you "modulate" the carrier that the information is attached to it. The simplest form of modulation is to turn the carrier on and off in accordance with the "morse code" - every alphabetical character, number, punctuation and accented letter has be assigned a specific sequence of 'dots' and 'dashes' which can be made with a hand 'key' and resolved at the receiver by another operator and written down. It's main advantage is that the equipment can be very simple, the signal takes up very little space in spectrum, and it gets though interference very well.

Amplitude modulation is simply that - the carrier has the audio signal mixed with it which changes the amplitude and at the receiver the audio is recovered in a detector which strips out the carrier and leaves the audio for you to listen to. Frequency modulation does exactly that - the frequency of the carrier is changed up and down by the amplitude of the audio signal. A special 'discriminator" in the receiver detects the frequency variations and changes them into amplitude variations so we have received our audio information.

Now SSB gets complicated but I'll try to keep it simple. If you look at an AM signal from a time perspective, you can see the changes in amplitude but if you look at it from a frequency perspective you can see the carrier remains at a constant level but flanking the carrier are two "sidebands". The sidebands which contain the audio frequencies are added or subtracted from the carrier. Now because the carrier contains no information and the sidebands are identical but opposite we can eliminate the carrier and one sideband and still transmit the signal. at the receiver a new carrier is re-inserted to beat with the sideband and reproduce the original audio - the higher frequency sideband of course is called the upper sideband, USB, and the lower, LSB.

There are many other forms of modulation but far too complicated at this stage.

Hope you have wriggled your way through all this but you will get the hang of it the more you play with your radio - have fun!.
Wow, that's a lot of information and great explanation of each broadcast band. I'm going to print this out along with the 2 pdf files for future reference when I get confused. I should be getting my first radio in a few days, chose the Tecsun Pl-880 basic radio to start with. I probably should have purchased a newer year model but didn't, although this radio is brand new and hopefully has the latest firmware. Most of the portable radios all seemed to have pretty much the same basic functions. We'll see. Thank so much for all the very good info and explanations. I look forward to the new hobby.

Last edited:

ecps92

There is likely also plenty of info in the RR Wiki
Check it out at

use the Search for key words
such a USB which returns
Just purchased a Tecsun PL-880 Radio (haven't received it yet) and trying to understand more about the frequency bands and what might be on them. Is there a good book or website or youtube video and maybe even radioreference files that might help me understand what might be found and listened to on the various frequency bands. Appreciate pointing me in the right direction.

Boombox

MW is domestic broadcasting on the "AM band". If you just want to hear local stuff, tune in during the day. At night the MW signals 'reflect' off the ionosphere and you can hear stations from much farther away.

FM you probably already know about.

SW (Shortwave) has good days and bad days, good nights and bad nights. The SW spectrum has several broadcast bands, each one almost the size of the US MW/AM band, and (generally) the bands above 10,000 khz work better during daylight, and the bands below 10,000 khz work better during darkness. SW, like MW at night, reflects off the ionosphere, some days the reception is better than others.

There have been mornings I've heard Africa and Asia on my SW radio, and other mornings I've heard little more than static. It depends on the condition of the ionosphere.

The PL880 has a pretty good rep, and you should be able to hear a lot of stations on MW at night, and SW when the atmospheric conditions are favorable.

MiCon

Mike
I'm not familiar with the PL880. Does it have a connection for an external antenna? An antenna in the attic or on the roof will usually greatly increase your reception. You'll want an antenna designed for SW (below 30mhz). VHF low band, VHF high band, UHF, and above won't work very well.

KB2GOM

I'm not familiar with the PL880. Does it have a connection for an external antenna? An antenna in the attic or on the roof will usually greatly increase your reception. You'll want an antenna designed for SW (below 30mhz). VHF low band, VHF high band, UHF, and above won't work very well.

The PL880 comes with an auxiliary wire antenna -- around 20 feet long that plugs into an antenna socket -- that can be deployed to boost weak signals. I own the PL880 and like it. To humblegeo: when you get your new radio, read the manual, that may prove useful. You can use the autobrowse and auto storage functions (pages 9-13 of your manual) of your PL880 to find stations on the SW frequencies without looking up stations on line. Majoco's info is very useful, as are the charts.

Another resource that you might find useful is www.swling.com and the blog The SWLing Post

Last edited:
@bescheidengeo
Maybe you can tell us what your preferred reception area should be. Do you want to listen to radio or are you interested in commercial radio (aircraft radio, amateur radio, marine radio). Depending on your interest, there are different requirements for the receiver or the antenna. Also the reception areas differ from each other. If we know your preferences it is a little easier to give targeted tips.

DXerPaulAK

Wow, that's a lot of information and great explanation of each broadcast band. I'm going to print this out along with the 2 pdf files for future reference when I get confused. I should be getting my first radio in a few days, chose the Tecsun Pl-880 basic radio to start with. I probably should have purchased a newer year model but didn't, although this radio is brand new and hopefully has the latest firmware. Most of the portable radios all seemed to have pretty much the same basic functions. We'll see. Thank so much for all the very good info and explanations. I look forward to the new hobby.

You purchased the perfect model, in my opinion. The Tecsun pl880 sounds fantastic, has great selectivity and sensitivity. It's not so hot on AM, but on SW and FM.. its good on the whip all by itself.

The newer tecsun models the 501 and 990.. have exactly the same specs reception wise when reading the manual and reading a review.. slightly higher noise floor.

Great radio for the $$... with an an external antenna and a quiet nosie free area, youll be happy with your purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.