Nellis AFB Giant Voice

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro2096HI

Analog kinda guy, surviving in a digital world
Giant voice is the military version of the Civil Defense sires/EAS. Most bases have it. Can also be used as a general purpose PA. Test found on 413.2125 pl118. 8

pro2096HI

They were itinerant through the day. Maybe 5 or 6 times total. A female would say: "This is the command post. This is a test of the Giant Voice system. Take no action, I repeat (then she would say again)

I just woke up. I'll turn the radio on.

pro2096HI

They were itinerant through the day. Maybe 5 or 6 times total. A female would say: "This is the command post. This is a test of the Giant Voice system. Take no action, I repeat (then she would say again)

I just woke up. I'll turn the radio on.

pro2096HI

You're more likely to find that at Tonapah. Nellis itself is kinda boring. But rumors persist of tunnels under the base that lead to all sorts of interesting places...

*Que: the bulky men with auto rifles at my front door, threatening my pension*

Last edited:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Giant voice is the military version of the Civil Defense sires/EAS. Most bases have it. Can also be used as a general purpose PA. Test found on 413.2125 pl118. 8

Excellent find! Please submit to the database under Clark County!

pro2096HI

Excellent find! Please submit to the database under Clark County!
Actually, I would rather not draw that much attention to this. Best kept low profile. Let's just keep it here among the more professional users.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Actually, I would rather not draw that much attention to this. Best kept low profile. Let's just keep it here among the more professional users.

OK, but keep in mind this is a public forum; there's nothing preventing someone else submitting it and giving you the credit.

pro2096HI

OK, but keep in mind this is a public forum; there's nothing preventing someone else submitting it and giving you the credit.
Yes. I understand. Like all professional monitors there are things I hold back from advertisement. I was on the fence about this one. Let's hope others reading this respect my decision.

Xray

Seems almost like a throwback to the SAC "Giant Talk" network on shortwave back in the day - Also, EAM alerts "SKYKING SKYKING DO NOT ANSWER ,,,," Do they still have those on shortwave anyone know ?

pro2096HI

Yes. SKYKING EAMs are still around. But not as much. The cold war is over. :(

That was the Golden Age. International espionage on your desktop health kit. *misty eyed*

Xray

Cold was is over ? Damn, no one told me !

Yeah those were the days for unencrypted militay/political comms, wasn't uncommon to hear VIP's, senators, even presidents talking on phone patches [Mystic Star, was it ?], and those EAM's were flat out spooky. Got you to thinking dang, if those code sequences ever match up, we are screwwwed but at least we would have been among the first to know

pro2096HI

Those were the days. The kids today will never understand the mystical experience of sitting in front of the lighted dial of a shortwave set at 2am..tuning in all those strange sounds and voices. They will never know the happiness of finding a pirate station or a transmission you had been searching for weeks on end. The pride of building a Heathkit and using it to tune the world. I adjusted my analog dial using the time stations.

This is radio station WWV, Fort Collins, Colorado...

Happy St. Valentines Day and 73s.

nd5y

I'm trying to determine if there is a Giant Voice frequency at Sheppard. I know it's not on the trunked system but I don't know if it is radio based or on a IP network or something. I don't know if they use the same equipment at all bases.

413.3000 PL 186.2 has what sounds like 600 baud SCADA type data from several simplex fixed stations that aren't all the same strength. So far I haven't hear any voice announcements. It goes off at 0600, 0800, 1200, 1630, 2200 and a few other seemingly random times every day. It could be commands for the sirens to play sound files of bugle calls and the National Anthem and then polling them. I don't know the exact times they do that or when they do voice tests.

Last edited:

ecps92

similar here at Hanscom AFB [Bedford MA]

413.3000 - No PL - SCADA/Telemetry
I'm trying to determine if there is a Giant Voice frequency at Sheppard. I know it's not on the trunked system but I don't know if it is radio based or on a IP network or something. I don't know if they use the same equipment at all bases.

413.3000 PL 186.2 has what sounds like 600 baud SCADA type data from several simplex fixed stations that aren't all the same strength. So far I haven't hear any voice announcements. It goes off at 0600, 0800, 1200, 1630, 2200 and a few other seemingly random times every day. It could be commands for the sirens to play sound files of bugle calls and the National Anthem and then polling them. I don't know the exact times they do that or when they do voice tests.

pro2096HI

Giant Voice is also in the VHF range. The simplex ranges in both bands are your hotspots. That day was the only day I heard voice. Since then I get data/tones on and off. Though, I have been busy with working. So less time to listen.

I found this one completely by accident. All of the Redbook and NTIA Interops freqs are in my normal scan routine. 413.2125 is the Incident Response channel 14 (convoy). That's how I tripped over it. It's using a different tone than the 156.7 standard. Parking Giant Voice on that "traveler" makes sense. The freqs around Nellis are pretty jammed. The RF is thick. You could toss a raw egg in the air on base and have it hardboiled when you caught it again.

I get loud and clear even deep into Henderson.

gariac

Check it out around noon. When I was doing fence checks at Beale, they would play the USAF theme song over the Giant Voice then. You know "Nothing will stop the U.S. Air Force." Just the tune.

The other thing to check for around bases is TIS.

Status
Not open for further replies.