Neophyte help (brand new PRO-163)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lysander

I'm absolutely new to this; while I grasp theory, the practice seems to be eluding me. The manual for the PRO-163 reads as if there is an assumed base level of knowledge, which means I am grasping at straws.

I've tried to set up the scanner using the data on RadioReference for Fairfax County, Virginia's Motorola trunking system for emergency services (data: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=182 ) At least, most of the information is in the scanner. I started with block 0 channel 000 (to keep things simple); entered in the control frequency, 860.26250c (minus the "c") as the first frequency, then each other frequency, all set to "MOT" rather than "FM." When I hit "scan", it scans bank 0 (where the frequencies are) and occasionally spits out ID numbers. Other than the control tones, I get nothing else from the scanner's speaker.

From the Virginia subforum, it appears that there are voice transmissions "out there" - but I can't seem to get them. even when I hit "search" and pause on any one of the Fairfax County frequencies, I either get a control tone or nothing.

From the top, how easy is it to "fix" my attempt to set this up using the scanner. This is (supposed to be) a gift, so there's no immediate plans to buy additional software; if I can get this working now, then tat may be a possibility down the line.

Please help!

N8IAA

Being that the 163 is an analog scanner, and a really good one at that, there is no fix to listen to your county system. Your system is P-25 digital. Unfortunately, there are no TG's in analog mode. They are all digital. The only fix is to get a digital scanner. I love my 163 for milair, conventional public service, railroad, and other stuff. Hate to be the bearer of bad news :(
Larry

Lysander

Being that the 163 is an analog scanner, and a really good one at that, there is no fix to listen to your county system. Your system is P-25 digital. Unfortunately, there are no TG's in analog mode. They are all digital. The only fix is to get a digital scanner. I love my 163 for milair, conventional public service, railroad, and other stuff. Hate to be the bearer of bad news :(
Larry

Oddly enough, that makes sense based on how the rest of this weekend is going. Before I go completely into the deep end, am I safe in assuming a digital scanner works for analog mode/communications, or is it single-purposed (that is, need an analog scanner for analog mode/communications and a digital scanner for digital mode/communications)?

BuiltonAsus

Correct. Although, any/most digital scanners also receive analog signals. You might be able to return the PRO-163, and purchase a digital scanner off of these forums. You can pick up used digital scanners for under $300. You have to be quick though.

Lysander

Returned the 163, got a 2096 (and the USB cable) - and it seems much easier to use. Why the manual difference between the 163 and 2096, I have no idea, but the 2096 manual makes much more sense.

N8IAA

Returned the 163, got a 2096 (and the USB cable) - and it seems much easier to use. Why the manual difference between the 163 and 2096, I have no idea, but the 2096 manual makes much more sense.

If I had not owned a Pro-97 prior to getting my 163, sheesh!! The manual is written for some other alien race. The 2096/96's manuals were much better written. Make sure you get a copy of Win96. Makes it much easier to program the radio :)
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.