Nepal Police has gone digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

scan_nepal

Sorry if I posted in wrong place.

Here is the news clip:
Nepal Police has installed a new security system called Digital Trunking System - YouTube

(English voice around 1:00 min)

Yet another news article states:
"Explaining further about the new service, Shrestha said that the digital trunking's function was similar to that of a mobile phone. Like the mobile phone that connects to the nearest tower, the digital trucking system also automatically assigns itself to the nearest available radio channels.

In addition, the availability of GPS service inbuilt in the devices will also enable the Nepal Police to locate on the map the exact location of the device holder. The devices have also been integrated in the 66 CCTV cameras installed in Katmandu, making the police more aware of what is happening around."

More at: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2013-09/02/content_16938697.htm

Which scanner would work for this system? Thanks.

scan_nepal

The one to You Tube works, the second one doesn't.

Interesting. Here is the full text as copied from that second linked site:
KATHMANDU - China has equipped Nepal Police with digital trunking system to enhance policing in the Himalayan republic.

At the inaugural ceremony of the system at the Kathmandu Metropolitan Police Division on Monday, Nepal Police communication chief Amrit Man Shrestha informed that the assistance from the Chinese government was worth more than 34 million RMB.

Besides providing the equipment, the entire installation process was also completed by Chinese professionals in about two years.

Chief of the International Cooperation of the Public Security Ministry of China Liao Jinrong and Chief of Nepal Police Kuber Singh Rana jointly inaugurated the service. Chinese Ambassador to Nepal Wu Chuntai and a host of Chinese delegates were also present on the occasion.

Liao said that China had sent a team to Nepal to work on the project two years ago and the latest technology had been used to build the devices.

"The best advanced technology has been used in the project. It will enhance the social security of Nepal," said Liao, adding that Nepal and China are joined by the same mountains and this cooperation will promote the ever-lasting friendship between the two countries.

Rana thanked the Chinese government for the cooperation, saying it had come at time when the country was preparing for the elections in November. He expressed his confidence that it would help in conducting the elections more safely and smoothly in addition to proving better security to the public every day.

At the moment, the digital trunking system has been installed in three major districts, including, Kathmandu, Pokhara and Sidhupalchowk. Of the three places, equipment worth almost 20 million RMB has been installed in Kathmandu alone.

Explaining further about the new service, Shrestha said that the digital trunking's function was similar to that of a mobile phone. Like the mobile phone that connects to the nearest tower, the digital trucking system also automatically assigns itself to the nearest available radio channels.

In addition, the availability of GPS service inbuilt in the devices will also enable the Nepal Police to locate on the map the exact location of the device holder. The devices have also been integrated in the 66 CCTV cameras installed in Katmandu, making the police more aware of what is happening around.

Shrestha also requested the Nepal Government to set aside at least five percent of the Nepal Police budget for maintenance of the devices.
Copyright By chinadaily.com.cn. All rights reserved

raikut

Greetings from Darjeeling

Interesting. Here is the full text as copied from that second linked site:
KATHMANDU - China has equipped Nepal Police with digital trunking system to enhance policing in the Himalayan republic.

At the inaugural ceremony of the system at the Kathmandu Metropolitan Police Division on Monday, Nepal Police communication chief Amrit Man Shrestha informed that the assistance from the Chinese government was worth more than 34 million RMB.

Besides providing the equipment, the entire installation process was also completed by Chinese professionals in about two years.

Chief of the International Cooperation of the Public Security Ministry of China Liao Jinrong and Chief of Nepal Police Kuber Singh Rana jointly inaugurated the service. Chinese Ambassador to Nepal Wu Chuntai and a host of Chinese delegates were also present on the occasion.

Liao said that China had sent a team to Nepal to work on the project two years ago and the latest technology had been used to build the devices.

"The best advanced technology has been used in the project. It will enhance the social security of Nepal," said Liao, adding that Nepal and China are joined by the same mountains and this cooperation will promote the ever-lasting friendship between the two countries.

Rana thanked the Chinese government for the cooperation, saying it had come at time when the country was preparing for the elections in November. He expressed his confidence that it would help in conducting the elections more safely and smoothly in addition to proving better security to the public every day.

At the moment, the digital trunking system has been installed in three major districts, including, Kathmandu, Pokhara and Sidhupalchowk. Of the three places, equipment worth almost 20 million RMB has been installed in Kathmandu alone.

Explaining further about the new service, Shrestha said that the digital trunking's function was similar to that of a mobile phone. Like the mobile phone that connects to the nearest tower, the digital trucking system also automatically assigns itself to the nearest available radio channels.

In addition, the availability of GPS service inbuilt in the devices will also enable the Nepal Police to locate on the map the exact location of the device holder. The devices have also been integrated in the 66 CCTV cameras installed in Katmandu, making the police more aware of what is happening around.

Shrestha also requested the Nepal Government to set aside at least five percent of the Nepal Police budget for maintenance of the devices.
Copyright By chinadaily.com.cn. All rights reserved

I am also from the hills of Darjeeling and saw that you are an active Radio Scanner hobbyist from Kathmandu. I am also very much interested in wireless and Radio and was the first to have an amateur Radio License from my place. Call Sign VU3GEJ. Please do revert back to me in my email so that i can communicate to you more freely from my end. My email id is " dipendraraikut@gmail.com " Please do give me reply in the email provided above to make contact with you.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
Looks like they are using Hytera radios from the video, which may be using PDT protocol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDT_Standard

It is based on DMR Tier 2 trunking technology which depending on whether encryption is used, you may or may not be able to monitor it.

Status
Not open for further replies.