NETCOM P25 Simulcast - Better or Worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
NE Tarrant P25 Simulcast - Better or Worse?

Hi Folks,

RE: Site 3 of the Fort Worth Regional Radio System.
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7349

Has anyone else noticed a change in reception to the NE Tarrant P25 Trunked site recently(using Uniden and Whistler scanners)? If so, are you receiving better or worse?

Something about the simulcasting or propagation has changed recently for some reason. I don't know if an antenna got moved or adjusted at one or more of the towers, or what, but my reception in the Bedford and Hurst area is horrible now. I get a full 5 bars on the Uniden scanners, but the pieces of junk just flash away "Finding Control Channel" most of the time. When they do decode, the audio is often very poor quality. I'm using Yagis, but the signal strength is strong enough from all towers for me that, the yagis simply do not help. I'm experiencing the problems on separate scanners at home, work, and in the car, driving around Hurst, Bedford, Colleyville, etc.

I am well aware that the problem is with the poor design and quality of the Uniden and Whistler scanners. My main reason for posting, is just to see how others are receiving lately.

My Unication G4 and G5 radios are doing just fine, and I may have to sell the crappy scanners to switch over to more Unications. I really wish Uniden would get it together and make their scanners work well with simulcast P25 systems. They have a better user interface and feature set, but they just don't work well for P25 simulcast systems in my area.

OK, I feel better now, but I'd still like to hear from anyone else monitoring in the area if you've noticed any changes in reception lately.

Happy Scanning!
Ben Saladino
KC5IRJ

Last edited:

Jimco

I just logged in here to see if anyone was asking about this! Yes. It's horrible. On my Uniden scanner, I rarely pick up anything at all. I hear some transmissions on the app on my phone, but audio quality is terrible. I sure wish I knew some way to fix this because this is the only system I listen to most of the time. :(

Jim

Jimco

I appreciate your post, Ben. I actually didn't even know about the Unication radios and I think I'm going to save up and try to get a G4. It's going to take a while for me to save that much, but looks like it'll be worth it.

Jim

Jimco

Is there some way of finding out which of the TGs on the Fort Worth Regional Radio system are using phase II? The note in the RR database says some are, but I don't know which ones. Just curious since the G4/G5 don't yet support phase II.

Jim

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Currently, most of the Irving, Arlington, and Grand Prairie talkgroups are Phase 2. Everything else is not.
Ben

Is there some way of finding out which of the TGs on the Fort Worth Regional Radio system are using phase II? The note in the RR database says some are, but I don't know which ones. Just curious since the G4/G5 don't yet support phase II.

Jim

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

Jim
Look in the Mode column for the individual talkgroups. If you hover the mouse over the column header, you'll see the list of what each letter means. But what you are looking for, on FWRRS, is either a D, which means P25 Phase I, or a T, which identifies a talkgroup that is normally used as Phase II. If a user radio affiliates with those talkgroups, and that radio is only capable of P25 Phase I, then transmissions will be in that mode instead of Phase II. Of course, any talkgroup labeled as E, Encrypted, can't be monitored anyway, so it does not matter whether Phase I or II is in use.

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
Man, you guys are just now catching up to us Houston area folks. We discovered years ago with all the simulcast in the region that Uniden/Whistler won't cut it. Absolutely worthless. There is no other choice but to run a Moto, Relm, or Unication if you want any chance of monitoring. All the serious folks made the jump a few years back.

Still amazes me how many sales they lose behind the simulcast issue. The market is a goldmine here with the hundreds of towtrucks running around with 4-10 radios each. But they also went with real radios years ago and you can barely give away a Uniden or Whistler in this part of Texas.

Rich

Jimco

It was kind of passable until recently in my area. Now I pick up nothing and my 436 is a paperweight. Never buying another Uniden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
The NETCO system was down after the storms this morning. It's back up now.

Until recently, when something changed, it was monitorable with the crappy scanners.

Jimco

Look in the Mode column for the individual talkgroups. If you hover the mouse over the column header, you'll see the list of what each letter means. But what you are looking for, on FWRRS, is either a D, which means P25 Phase I, or a T, which identifies a talkgroup that is normally used as Phase II. If a user radio affiliates with those talkgroups, and that radio is only capable of P25 Phase I, then transmissions will be in that mode instead of Phase II. Of course, any talkgroup labeled as E, Encrypted, can't be monitored anyway, so it does not matter whether Phase I or II is in use.

Thanks!

Jimco

The NETCO system was down after the storms this morning. It's back up now.

Until recently, when something changed, it was monitorable with the crappy scanners.

I'm actually getting great reception on Site 3 this morning. I'm sure that will change.

Jimco

I'm actually getting great reception on Site 3 this morning. I'm sure that will change.

And now it's back to silence with a broken word or two now and then. Definitely will be talking to Ray soon.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
They were working on the site at Bransford when I drove by a couple hours ago. Hopefully, when they're done it will be work well for us scanner folks too.

Jimco

They were working on the site at Bransford when I drove by a couple hours ago. Hopefully, when they're done it will be work well for us scanner folks too.

Mixed blessing if it does. I'm getting excited about picking up a G5. :)

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
Anyone having issues receiving NRHW on Layer 2 today? Haven't heard much, maybe they've just been quieter than usual today...

Jimco

Anyone having issues receiving NRHW on Layer 2 today? Haven't heard much, maybe they've just been quieter than usual today...

FWL2 sounds fine to me. I don't usually have an issue with that system. Little quieter than usual right now, but I'm picking it up. NE Tarrant County is silent.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
You will be happy with the Unications.
I have 2 G4 units and love them.
Also really liking my Relm / BK Radio KNG2-P800
Im in Dallas so the KNG2 unit is more of a future use radio.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Does NETCO sound any better today?

Status
Not open for further replies.