Networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAF27

Hi,

I didn't know where to upload this thread, but here we go. I was told by a friend that I could use repeater networks to speak to other, far-away states. Is this true? In my case, he told me I could talk to Florida from NY, but this seems wrong for some reason.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
It depends on the infrastructure. If the repeaters are linked, it is very possible. You would talk into your local repeater, which is connected through phone, or more likely, IP to the repeater or base in the remote location where your signal is rebroadcast. It's not a 100% RF connection.

They could also be referring to a newer technology known as network radio, which utilizes wifi or cellular for communication. An example of this would be the TAC-9 Radio System. The "radio" is really a variation of a cell phone, usually android based, that utilizes a PTT app. This provides coverage wherever you have wifi or cell signal with anyone else on the network, regardless of location if they also have wifi or cell connection.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
There is a ham radio system called Echo-Link. It goes radio to internet back to radio. You can talk to someone on the other side of the world on a handheld transceiver.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Nationwide and worldwide coverage via Amateur Radio digital networks (DMR, YSF / Wires-X, D-Star, NXDN, and P25) is available on most ham radio digital repeaters.... and all ham radio "hotspot" devices / radios. License required; commercial / business communications as well as encryption not permitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.