Nevada County SO to move to 450 Mhz!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkewman

Nevada County sheriff is expected to move to the 450 mhz range and abandon their current problematic 155 mhz system.

the change is welcomed by the officers who have had to deal with a 6 repeater system that still has dead spots in certain areas of the county.

they'll also be adding MDTs to the cars and also a GIS based cad system with arial maps of the county.

RolnCode3

Why are they not considering filling whatever gaps they have on their current system?

Going from VHF to UHF will mean they'll have a harder time filling in dead spots, right?

BirkenVogt

I was up at a site when one of their techs was trying to figure out an interference issue...

In my mind the interference is probably mostly that they got a stupid freq for an input that is not at all quiet and lots of other garbage comes on.

We all know that 450 is going to be a joke of course. But if it is trunked, and automatic, maybe it will cut down on operator error induced problems....

Birken

trooperdude

Database Admin
What a nightmare, with so many LTR channels in the Bay Area and Central Valley on 450mhz, and their altitude, it will be a tough fight to get a clean input in Placer.

What on earth prompted their move ?

mkewman

it's in nevada county.

their current system has become outdated.

my source works at ncso.

i don't know exactly when the move is going to happen, but according to the source, the money has been secured a long time ago, and they've finally got the ball rolling.

BirkenVogt

Their current system is only like 3 years old!!!

I wonder who the contractor is for this job. Hopefully not the same as the last. I must state my affiliation. I work at the only commercial radio shop in western Nevada County. So to see this kind of thing come and go without us so much as getting a phone call really chaps my hide!

I could have fixed their current system as it stands now. They made a bad choice of an input frequency is the only problem. We have been using the same style system with cheaper equipment on the fire side since 1988 and CDF and the USFS had theirs before that and they work great. And my shop recently installed a high band trunking system which also works great.

One thing that always makes me suspicious is that /\/\ wants their dealers to sell like $50,000 a year. Could be more by now. That is why my boss quit them. It makes you wonder if they really need this entire new system, or if the contractor needs to make a sales quota.

Besides, we already know that 450 is going to need double the sites.

What are they trying to accomplish by this that can't be done on high band?

As a taxpayer I don't particularly like this either.

Birken

digitaljim6

Before we get too worked up, let's see the RFP, RFQ, proposals, Board of Supes agendas, budget drafts, hearing notices, etc. I'd hate to waste my time and a good rant on a rumor.

RolnCode3

D'OH! Wrong County. I had no interest in looking up anything for AMR. Meant to look in Nevada County, but pulled up Placer instead.

Interesting side not, but not related to this discussion. Someone start a thread if they know anything about the Placer replacement.

Nevada County puts their BOS minutes up on the web (so far it looks like 2004-2006), but "UHF" and "radio" didn't net anything interesting (that I found).

This is the only mention of "155.565" I found as well:
https://docs.co.nevada.ca.us/dsweb/Get/Document-201681/File-73088[1].pdf

Last edited:

digitaljim6

There's a big difference between getting mentioned in a dispatch on a fire channel and using the fire channel for your company dispatch. If you're not hearing base and mobiles handling routine inter-facility transfers on the fire system, then the ambulance company is using some other method for their company dispatch. It also means you are missing the calls that don't include a fire unit.

Ambulance companies seem to have far more routine, logistical, non-code-3 traffic than most fire departments, including CDF. If AMR used CDF Local for this, they would double the amount of routine traffic that a unit like NEU or AEU has. That's one reason for private ambulance companies to have their own systems - the state/county/city doesn't want all of that unrelated junk on their channels. Another reason is that when they lose a service contract, they need something to continue to operate on their own.

I'm familiar with the thread - I posted to it four times.

If you listen to the AMR-San Joaquin County arrangement, you will quickly realize that their non-code-3 traffic is handled on the commercial Passport system they rent, alpha pagers, and their own 155 channels, not on the fire channels.

drouse3 said:
Read this thread, it looks like AMR uses the fires channels.

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39631

digitaljim6 said:
There's a big difference between getting mentioned in a dispatch on a fire channel and using the fire channel for your company dispatch. If you're not hearing base and mobiles handling routine inter-facility transfers on the fire system, then the ambulance company is using some other method for their company dispatch. It also means you are missing the calls that don't include a fire unit.

Ambulance companies seem to have far more routine, logistical, non-code-3 traffic than most fire departments, including CDF. If AMR used CDF Local for this, they would double the amount of routine traffic that a unit like NEU or AEU has. That's one reason for private ambulance companies to have their own systems - the state/county/city doesn't want all of that unrelated junk on their channels. Another reason is that when they lose a service contract, they need something to continue to operate on their own.

I'm familiar with the thread - I posted to it four times.

If you listen to the AMR-San Joaquin County arrangement, you will quickly realize that their non-code-3 traffic is handled on the commercial Passport system they rent, alpha pagers, and their own 155 channels, not on the fire channels.

Same here in Monterey county Westmed use the med channels UHF but they come up with fire to say the are responding to the calls that's about it.

Last edited:

drouse3

In Alameda Couny, AMR dispatch uses the Alameda Public safety system for they radio system and dispatch. I also here AMR in San Mateo County Public safety system. Also most public safety company have back channels to talk and those are also in use on the Public Safety system.

All I said to start this off was I do not see anything about AMR. As you can see the gov and AMR have joined together on a radio system. I did not say the gov would foot the bill for AMR radio system, maybe they could join in on it. They must rent the system coverage from the Counties.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.