• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Nevada Hands-free law outlaws CB mobile usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

joen7xxx

The Nevada legislature passed and the Governor signed Senate Bill 140: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/76th2011/Bills/SB/SB140_EN.pdf
which was meant to outlaw the use ot texting devices and cellular phones without a hands-free device. Unfortunately, this poorly crafted law outlawed CB and other non-licensed services such as MURS and FRS. It also severely restricts Amateur Radio mobile operations. So, if you're travelling through Nevada, do not operate mobile as you can be pulled over and fined pretty heavily after January 2012.

Happy motoring!

reedeb

WOW!! Think of EVERY emergency vehicle when ever they talk on the radio and such THEY'LL [including the enforcers of such rediculas laws] will be illegal. I think too many Californians migrated.

RadioDaze

So as I read it, handie-talkies are out (except in certain circumstances), but mics on mobiles are okay.

“Handheld wireless communications device”...does not include a device used for
two-way radio communications if:
(1) The person using the device has a license to operate the
device, if required; and
(2) All the controls for operating the device, other than the
microphone and a control to speak into the microphone, are
located on a unit which is used to transmit and receive
communications and which is separate from the microphone and
is not intended to be held.

It DOES seem to rule out an HT with a mic attached.

Also note "...has a license to operate the device, IF REQUIRED..."

I do agree with you... not very well crafted.

SCPD

QRT
WOW!! Think of EVERY emergency vehicle when ever they talk on the radio and such THEY'LL [including the enforcers of such rediculas laws] will be illegal. I think too many Californians migrated.

No. The key here is "license" - police/ems/fire and the like are all licensed. CB, MURS, FRS are unlicensed.

I think too many Texans are over-reacting.

prcguy

Looks pretty easy for me to understand, licensed amateur, GMRS and unlicensed CB and MURS mobile radios would be fine unless its a remote CB with all the controls on the mic.

If an HT were mounted in a grippee thingee on the dash and had a remote speaker mic it should be fine.
prcguy

pagerman

So this is to make me safer from those rocks that jump out in from of me on I-80.:) This makes no sense in a State that should be focusing in on the economics of its own State, not whether or not someone is going to be talking on channel 19 so they don't fall a sleep driving 18 wheels down the road.

UberGeek

Well, all of the radio services are technically ok by this bill. Even the "License Free" bands, which in reality are not. Everyone (Well, citizens) are licensed by rule, and can have their "license" revoked by the FCC.

So, we're all good :)

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
Did nobody take the time to read this????
(a) “Handheld wireless communications device” means a
handheld device for the transfer of information without the use of
electrical conductors or wires and includes, without limitation, a
cellular telephone, a personal digital assistant, a pager and a text
messaging device. The term does not include a device used for
two-way radio communications if:
(1) The person using the device has a license to operate the
device, if required; and
(2) All the controls for operating the device, other than the
microphone and a control to speak into the microphone, are
located on a unit which is used to transmit and receive
communications and which is separate from the microphone and
is not intended to be held.

License to operate the device, IF REQUIRED!!!!

without the use of
electrical conductors or wires

A CB is fine under this law.

Quit preaching until your actually read the document!!!! GOOD GRIEF!!!

SCPD

QRT
So this is to make me safer from those rocks that jump out in from of me on I-80.:) This makes no sense in a State that should be focusing in on the economics of its own State, not whether or not someone is going to be talking on channel 19 so they don't fall a sleep driving 18 wheels down the road.
Did you even read the statute?

license

no. The key here is "license" - police/ems/fire and the like are all licensed. Cb, murs, frs are unlicensed.

I think too many texans are over-reacting.

hams are licensed.

ps SAY NO TO NUTTY LAWS ! Outlaw mobile cellphones and texting.DONE!Fine is Car license suspension.

Status
Not open for further replies.